List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LITTLE COMPTON MANOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL

List entry Number: 1116486

Location

LITTLE COMPTON MANOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityLittle Compton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305996

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE COMPTON SP2830 14/61 Little Compton Manor House 02/09/52 and attached wall (Formerly listed as Little Compton Manor (Bishop Juxon's House) with pigeoncote)

- II*

Manor house. Early C16 orgins, with remodelling of 1620; late C17, C18 and C20 alterations and additions. Squared coursed limestone to front and rear with quoins and coped gables with moulded ball finials. Coursed rubble to west wing, with part of first floor moulded string course. Stone-slate roofs with moulded stone ridge, end, and projecting lateral stacks. Originally a U-shaped plan. 3 storeys plus attic; 5-window range of 2-, 3- and 4-light ovolo-moulded mullioned windows, possibly C20 restorations of original fenestration. All mullioned windows have hood moulds and labels. C17 blocked windows, one with hood mould and labels, in internal angle of east wing. C17 doorway to centre of ground floor with heavily-moulded surround and moulded broken pediment with cartouche of arms. Doorway perhaps restored C20. C17 panelled oak door with carved semi-circular top panel. West wing of earlier origin, with buttress to centre and to north-west. Further 4-light ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed window, and 2- and 3-light ovolo-moulded and plain-chamfered mullioned windows to first and second floors. One full gabled dormer with 2-light mullioned window with original leaded lights. Rear of west wing has further 2- and 3-light ovolo-moulded and plain-chamfered mullioned windows, with blocked mullioned and transomed window opening. 3 further blocked openings below. 4-centred arched chamfered doorway leading to cellar, with chamfered light to immediate right. East wing has further ovolo-moulded mullioned windows, those in gabled dormers with transoms. Two C18 thirty-pane sashes with moulded surrounds to ground floor, that to right perhaps in place of earlier mullioned and transomed window. One 12-pane sash with moulded surround to first floor. The northern part of east wing is early C16, and has a 3-light plain-chamfered mullioned and transomed window to ground floor with a 2-light and single-light window, and C20 projection to first floor. 3-storey range projecting towards east has further 3-light mullioned windows, that to second floor hollow-chamfered. Rear of east wing, and west-facing internal angle have further 3-light plain-chamfered mullioned and transomed windows, some restored. One 3-light mullioned window above original iron-sheeted door, with decorative iron hinge and lock. Lead rain-water heads to south, east and west are inscribed in bas relief: 'O-/ANDO/1620' and have decorative features below. Large 3-storey stone range to north was added 1927, and is in imitative style with mullioned and mullioned and transomed windows. Extending south from south east corner of east wing a C18 wall with stone plinth and brick in Flemish garden wall bond above. The wall is approximately 20 metres long and 3 metres high, and has a plank and muntin door in moulded surround towards north. Interior: ground floor of C16 north-east wing, formerly kitchen, has the original C16 roof with heavily-moulded spine beams, crossed with smaller but identically-moulded beams and small similarly-moulded joists. Ceiling has heavily-moulded wood cornice surround. Large 4-centred arched stone fireplace with ogee and ovolo-moulded surround with moulded stops. Stone-flagged floor. Restored C16/C17 plank door. C16 room above (The Juxon Room) has late C16 moulded panelling with some original cock-head hinges, 4-centre arched stone fireplace with moulded surround and panelled over mantel. 1620 hall in central range has contemporary panelling rising to ceiling on east wall, 4-centred arched stone fireplace with hollow and ogee-moulded surround to west with C20 overmantel in Jacobean style. Stone flagged floor. Room to east of central hall lined with late C16 moulded panelling, with heavily carved pilasters and frieze with floral and foliage decoration and lion heads. Simple small 4-centred arched fireplaces with chamfered surrounds throughout house. History: once the home of William Juxon, Archbishop of Canterbury. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.V, pp.50-51; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.340-341).

Listing NGR: SP2614530296

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 50-1
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 340-1

National Grid Reference: SP 26145 30296

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 11:10:41.