List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1116253

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentTunbridge WellsDistrict AuthorityFrittenden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 169404

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FRITTENDEN THE STREET TQ 8040-8140 (north west side) 14/54 Church of St Mary 20.6.67 GV II* Parish church. 1846-8 by R C Hussey, incorporating base of C15 tower; extended and restored 1861 and 1881. Wealden sandstone with Caen stone dressings and plain tiled roof. Chancel with south chapel, nave with aisles, north and south porches northern vestry and western tower. Three stage tower, the lower 2 stages at least C15, with offset corner buttresses and basement to recessed stone spire with enriched lucarnes. North-western angle vice. Stone clock face in north elevation. C15 west window with C19 Perpendicular style western door- way. The rest of the building is entirely C19, a rebuilding of the medieval church, with Decorated style fenestration with segmental heads and reticulated tracery to nave, cusped-tracery and pointed arched heads with hood moulds to chapel, and split cusp and "Geometric tracery to chancel. North-western vestry with cusped bargeboard to projecting gable. Interior: tall, narrow C15 tower arch with double eave moulded surround and round responds with octagonal capi- tals. Blank traceried surround to west doorway with thin attached shafts to west window over embattled and quatrefoiled frieze, all C19. three bay south arcade, with pointed horse-shoe shaped arches. Two bay north arcade, with finer moulding and normal pointed arches (north aisle added 1861). Octagonal press and responds and double chamfered arches to both arcades. Embattled wall plate and moulded corbels to boarded waggon roof to nave; pierced queen post roof on corbels to south aisle, with braced rafter roof to north aisle, with string course and hood moulds to window reveals and doors to porch and vestry. Chancel and south chapel arches of same pattern as nave south arcade. Two bay arcade from chancel to south chapel, with trussed rafter roof to chancel, boarded roof to chapel. Fittings: good survival of original C19 fittings: painted stone surround to east window, creating a triptch effect with texts in the flanking panels. C19 choir stalls, half-height screen with quartrefoil frieze and spiked rail. Trelobed piscina on north wall, tiled sanctuary and black and white tiled chancel, carved wooden alter. Benches and box pews in nave and aisles with integral brass candleholders. Brass lecturn and wooden pulpit on stone base; octagonal font with 2 tier wooden cover and iron and brass font crane. Early C19 geometric glass throughout, with later C19 glass in the east windows, especially chancel east window, to Rev Edward Moore, 1891 by W Bucknall and J N Comper. Incised and painted texts and inscriptions over various doorways and arches, that over south porch recording that the church was restored and enlarged by Reverend Edward and Lady Harriet Moore, 1847. Moore was patron as well as vicar of the church and village, and many houses and facilities in the parish are due to him. (See Igglesden 16, 1923).

Listing NGR: TQ8131840953

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Igglesden, C - Title: Saunter through Kent with pen and pencil - Date: 1923 - Volume: 16

National Grid Reference: TQ 81318 40953

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 05:20:22.