List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1116252

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireRugbyDistrict AuthorityWolvey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308899

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOLVEY CHURCH HILL SP48NW (East side) 4/33 Church of St. John the Baptist 06/10/60 - II*

Church. C12 origins. Rebuilt early C13 and C14; tower C15. Chancel gable rebuilt 1624; nave north wall dated 1630. Clerestory rebuilt C19. Chancel rebuilt 1858. Porch added and chancel south wall rebuilt 1909. Various sandstones: regular coursed stone chancel and nave north wall; coursed squared stone aisles and tower. Porch of limestone ashlar:Chancel and porch have plain-tile roofs with ridge cresting and coped gable parapets with cross finials; chancel has gablet kneelers; porch has moulded kneelers. Nave has slate roof with ridge cresting. Low-pitched aisle roofs are not visible. Moulded cornices and parapets throughout. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Largely Decorated style. 3-bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Chancel and south aisle have diagonal buttresses of 2 offsets. Chancel east wall has moulded plinth. C19 three-light window has bar tracery. Gable has 2 panels, one above the other, inscribed 'AND DNI 1624' and 'ROBART KELLET'. North and south sides have splay plinth and buttress of 2 offsets. South side has C19 chamfered Tudor arch doorway, blocked inside, with sunk spandrels and hood mould, and plank door. 2-light triple-chamfered north and south western windows have C19 tracery. North side has drip course to eastern part. Early English style south porch has splay plinth. Arch of 2 orders with attached shafts, hood mould and head stops. Gable has datestone. Small trefoiled ogee east and west lancets. C12 doorway inside has nookshafts. Inner order has fleurs-de-lys-type motifs, and capitals of interlace to left and a dragon to right. Outer order has chevron, and scalloped capital to left and foliage to right. C14 segmental-pointed doorway inserted within has C19/C20 double-leaf doors. Early C14 south aisle has splay plinth to east. West angle buttresses of 2 offsets. South-east and south-west corners have crocketed pinnacles. East and 3 south 3-light windows have cusped intersecting tracery, largely renewed to south. Parapet has blind quatrefoils. 2-light west window has reticulated tracery. Hood moulds with head stops throughout. Clerestory has straight-headed windows of 2 trefoiled ogee lights. West buttresses. North aisle has 4 north buttresses, one gableted. 3-light windows. East, north, east and west windows have reticulated tracery and hood moulds. East and north-east windows have head stops. Small moulded north doorway has ribbed door. 3-light north window has cusped intersecting tracery. Perpendicular tower of 3 stages. Splay and moulded plinth. Diagonal buttresses of 4 offsets. 3-light west window has small cinqfoiled niche with moulded base above. Second stage has chamfered straight-headed opening and clock face. Small trefoiled lancet to south. Each side has small carved head set in wall. Third stage has 2-light openings. Moulded embattled parapet. Interior: chancel has ogee piscina. 3-bay C19 moulded scissor-brace roof. Chancel arch, dated 1858 on keystone, has half-octagonal responds. Nave has C14 four-bay arcades of 2 chamfered orders with octagonal piers and moulded capitals; north arcade has more elaborate mouldings. C15 tower arch of outer and inner Tudor arches, the inner chamfered and with moulded imposts. C19 low-pitched queen strut roof with tracery. North aisle has lean-to roof with some old timbers; a rafter is inscribed 'HT TF CW 1726'. South aisle has door and rood loft stair. Remains of piscina. Two C13 sedilia have roll-moulded round arches and simple shafts, and inner trefoiled arches. Roof similar to south aisle. A rafter is inscribed 'EB TF 1778 TA'. Fittings: C14 octagonal font has blind tracery which is partly C19. Mid C19 fittings include octagonal wood pulpit with elaborate blind tracery, niches etc. Stone reredos with blind tracery. Brass and wood altar rails. Panelled alms box dated 1723. Iron bound chest. Monuments: chancel south: Thos. Noble, 1784. Architectural wall monument with broken pediment and vase. Nave south-west corner: Richard Warner, 1785. Large blackened slate vertical slab with incised Neoclassical ornament. North aisle east: Thomas Astley, 1603, and his wife Katherine. Chest tomb with alabaster effigies. The inscription records that it was renovated by John Astley, 1702. North wall: Elizabeth Arnold, 1788. Large standing Tuscan Doric monument in grey and white marble, with half-columns and pilasters, and shaped gable with urn finial. West end: Thomas and Alice de Wolvey. Early C14 effigies. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.284-5; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.479-480; Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1892, pp.251-252).

Listing NGR: SP4307187983

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 284 5
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 479 480
'Kellys Directory' in Warwickshire, (1892), 251 252

National Grid Reference: SP 43071 87983

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 04:32:09.