List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

List entry Number: 1116151

Location

CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WalsallMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 219061

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALSALL MB CHURCH HILL SP 0198 SE 16/25 Church of St Matthew 19.11.51 - II* Church, rebuilt 1820-21 by Francis Goodwin, with late C15 chancel restored 1877-80 by Ewan Christian and with earlier remains. Chancel sandstone, remainder of building faced with Bath stone. Comprises a nave with clerestory, north and south aisles, transepts, a south-west tower with spire, and a chancel with crypt and north organ chamber. Windows have pointed heads and cast iron Perpendicular tracery. At the west end is a gothic portal. The tower is of three stages with angle buttresses add a stone spire set back behind a pierced parapet with corner pinnacles. The base of the tower forms a porch with moulded pointed doorway. The chancel windows have pointed arches with Perpendicular tracery restored in 1877-80. On the south side it is of four bays separated by buttresses, on the north of two. In the third southern bay there is a doorway at a lower level with chamfered surround and pointed head. In the fourth bay a pointed arch opens into a rib-vaulted passage under the east end. Interior has five-bay nave arcades with iron piers on stone bases. The flat nave ceiling has a plaster fan vault with pendant bosses. On the north, south and west sides are galleries which have timber fronts with blind tracery decoration. The octagonal alabaster font is early C15 and is decorated with shields of arms. The lead lining is dated "1712". The pointed chancel arch is moulded. The timber screen dates from 1915. On the north side of the chancel is a window with original C15 tracery, now covered on the outside by the C19 organ chamber. The triple sedilia and piscina are C19 restorations. The open timber roof over the chancel has three trusses with short king-posts rising from tie-beams, braced to the ridge, with tracery infilling. The choir stalls incorporate some C15 woodwork, including poppy heads and a series of 18 misericords. Under the western end of the chancel is a late C13 crypt with two bays of quadripartite vaulting and two lancet windows. To the east is a C15 tunnel-vaulted crypt. (BoE, p 292).

Listing NGR: SP0163998293

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Staffordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 292

National Grid Reference: SP 01639 98293

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Aug-2014 at 01:27:32.