List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PRIORY FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1116105

Location

PRIORY FARMHOUSE, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityMaxstoke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309013

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MAXSTOKE CHURCH ROAD SP2386 (South side) 17/108 Priory Farmhouse 11/11/52 GV II* Inner gatehouse to Priory of Augustinian Canons; converted to a house late C16. Early C14 with late C16 alterations. Squared and irregular coursed sandstone. Timber-framed with brick infill and red brick. Plain-tiled roof. Red brick ridge stack and late C16 projecting side stack on the rear, of coursed sandstone with red brick to upper courses. 2 storeys and attic. North front has 2 first floor late C16 or early C17 ovolo mullion cross-frame casements of sandstone. Another window to a gable above the doorway has a moulded stone architrave and 3-light wood cross-frame casement of C18/C19. At ground floor a doorway in early C19 rusticated stone surround. C20 plank door. 3-centred double chamfered carriageway arch, early C14, now blocked. Rear wall has opposing carriageway arch now blocked. Late C16 cross-frame casements in rear wall including one of 3 lights to first floor hall. The west gable end has mid/late C16 timber-framing of vertical studding to part of the wall and the east gable end has been rebuilt in red brick in Cl8/C19. Interior: Mid/late C16 roof in 5 bays. Through-purlins with wind bracing, cambered tie beams and raking Queen struts. Original chamfered arches of early C14 to some openings on the interior. Mid C17 staircase with symmetrically turned balusters with square newels and moulded rail. Run-through panelling reset in one room having C16 ceiling enriched with moulded main beams and painted with shields of arms. Originally at first floor and moved to ground floor. Originally the inner gatehouse with priors lodging above of the priory of Augustinian Canons founded by William de Clinton, Earl of Huntingdon, in 1336 and consecrated in 1342. Scheduled ancient monument. (VCH: Warwickshire, Vol IV; Buildings of England; Warwickshire: p349)

Listing NGR: SP2345086833

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 349

National Grid Reference: SP 23450 86833

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 12:12:41.