List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL LOCK NUMBER 49 (HALL’S LOCK) at SJ 81602 56211

List entry Number: 1115842

Location

LOCK NUMBER 49 (HALL’S LOCK) AT SJ 81602 56211, TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityChurch Lawton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Jul-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 351206

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/01/2013

SJ 85 NW 1923- /7/10003

CHURCH LAWTON TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL Canal Lock number 49 (Hall's Lock) at SJ 8160 5622

(Formerly listed as Lock No. 49 at SJ 8160 5622)

GV II

Pair of narrow locks. Towpath side lock by James Brindley/Hugh Henshall circa 1772-75, with off-side lock added probably by Thomas Telford early 1830's; both with replacement of materials and movable parts. Towpath side lock has concrete facing to most of chamber and coping and off-side lock has brick chamber with stone coping and quoins. Central island cutwater. Late C20 gates: single wooden top gate and double wooden bottom gates to off-side lock. Wooden plank footbridge across each tail. Both locks have steps down to lower level to off-side (those to towpath side are of concrete and those to off-side are of engineering brick). Off-side weir with stone walls. The Trent and Mersey Canal was built between 1766 and 1777 by James Brindley and Hugh Henshall. Listed for group value with adjacent bridge. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands (1966) Jean Lindsay, The Trent and Mersey Canal (1979)

Listing NGR: SJ8159956208

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Lindsay, J, The Trent and Mersey Canal, (1979)
Hadfield, C, 'The Canals of the British Isles' in The Canals of the East Midlands, (1966)

National Grid Reference: SJ 81599 56208

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 07:40:07.