List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 137 (HALL'S BRIDGE) AT SJ 8159 5622

List entry Number: 1115841

Location

BRIDGE NUMBER 137 (HALL’S BRIDGE) AT SJ 8159 5622, TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityChurch Lawton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Jul-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 351203

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/01/2013

SJ 85 NW 1923- /7/10004

CHURCH LAWTON TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL Bridge number 137 (Hall's Bridge) at SJ 8159 5622

(Formerly listed as Bridge No. 137 at SJ 8159 5622)

GV II

Canal accommodation bridge. East span circa early C19 with west span added/bridge remodelled circa early 1830's when Locks No. 49 were duplicated, probably by Thomas Telford. Red brick and brindled brick with stone coping and dressings. Towpath to west span. Integral with adjoining pair of locks. Both spans have elliptical arches. Swept wings/roving arms with trailing edges to south elevation and west side of north elevation. Central pier to south side. East span has stone/stone slab quoins to arch, and west span has stone quoins/voussoirs. Stone string course and plaque at crown to both arches on both sides. Minor repairs. The Trent and Mersey Canal was built between 1766 and 1777 by James Brindley and Hugh Henshall with subsequent alterations. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands (1966) Jean Lindsay, The Trent and Mersey Canal (1979)

Listing NGR: SJ8158656221

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Lindsay, J, The Trent and Mersey Canal, (1979)
Hadfield, C, 'The Canals of the British Isles' in The Canals of the East Midlands, (1966)

National Grid Reference: SJ 81586 56221

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 01:06:11.