List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

List entry Number: 1115612

Location

CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityBackford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55385

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 37SE BACKFORD C.P. CHURCH LANE (NORTH SIDE)

3/2 Church of St Oswald 1.6.67 GV II*

Church. Chancel, C14th, tower C15th, nave rebuilt 1728-31, and remodelled 1877-9 by Ewan Christian. Sandstone, graded slate roof. West tower, 3 bay nave, chancel, north vestry. Perpendicular buttressed tower has chamfered plinth, rebuilt embattled parapet with crocketted finial. 3-light traceried bell openings. Some narrow slit openings. West front has restored 3-light window over doorway which has four-centred arched head. Both have hood moulds with animal and human figure stops. Stone bands have shields and figure heads. Figure gargoyles below parapet. Nave has three, 2-light traceried windows and south porch. Chancel: East window has intersecting tracery. N window has Y-tracery. South wall has C14th doorway and two, 3-light Perpendicular windows in deep recesses. Clasping buttresses. Stone cross at east end. Interior. Nave arcades have cylindrical piers supporting pointed arches. Tall pointed arch beneath tower. Wall paintings by E Frampton. E window possibly by Wailes. Six heraldic tablets painted on wood, probably by Randle Holmes, dating 1624-1683 to Margel and Birkened families. Monuments: Samuel Griffiths (1796) by E. Spencer. Tablet, urn and obelisk for Baskerville Glegg (1843) by Sanders. C17th altar (now in vestry) has twisted legs and acorn ends similar to two sanctuary chairs. 3 oak chests, two dated 1636 and 1702. Stone tympanum, formerly over porch, inscribed: This church was built AD 1728 Robt Denson Vicar, now leaning against S. wall of tower in churchyard.

Pevsner & Hubbard. Richards R., Old Cheshire Churches Morten 1973.

Listing NGR: SJ3980871693

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)
Richards, R, Old Cheshire Churches, (1973)

National Grid Reference: SJ 39808 71693

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 03:21:18.