List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1115490

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityGoadby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Dec-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190801

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 79 NE GOADBY THE STREET (East Side)

4/26 Church of St. John the Baptist (Previously listed as Church of 29.12.66 St Denys)

GV II*

Parish Church, former Chapel. Probably C13 though restored in 1848 and 1860. Coursed ironstone rubble with brick transepts, Welsh slate roof. Single celled with bell turret above buttressed west wall. Two chamfered lancets to south, and mediaeval gabled south porch restored in C19 with new archway. Small King post roof. C17 door with panel inscribed 'William Collinson gave this 1618'. Plain tympanum above. Early C19 brick transept with coped gables with stone kneelers, the south was reconstructed in 1860 and has intersecting traceried window. Victorian Decorated 2-light window to north transept. Buttressed chancel with Perpendicular south window and Decorated east window of 3-lights, the tracery is Victorian but the hood mould and corbel heads may be C14. Sill band below and tomb stones built into the wall, two of which are fine slate memorials of 1765 and 1760. Single wide lancet with hood mould in north wall of nave. Interior of Church is very open, with no division between nave and chancel. Lancet windows are all in deep splays. Plain boarded roof. Although the transepts are C19, the arches leading to them seem mediaeval, a roll moulded arch springing from flat abaci. Scissor braced roofs in transepts. South transept contains a plain octagonal font. Simply shaped piscina in chancel.

Listing NGR: SP7502498892

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 75024 98892

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 01:39:55.