List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LITTLE SODBURY MANOR

List entry Number: 1115005

Location

LITTLE SODBURY MANOR

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
South GloucestershireUnitary AuthorityLittle Sodbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 34719

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 78 SE LITTLE SODBURY

8/94 Little Sodbury Manor 17.9.52 G.V. I

Manor house. Early C15 for the Stanshaw family; altered and extended late C15/ early C16 for John Walsh and early - mid C17 for Henry and Edward Stephens; partly restored early C18 after a storm and extensively restored c.1913-1920 by Sir Harold Brakspear for Lord Grosvenor and Baron de Tuyll. Rendered rubble with freestone dressings and quoins; Cotswold stone slate roofs with coped raised verges on kneelers; ashlar square and diagonal stacks. Asymmetrical and irregular Tudor manor house aligned north - south: in the centre the C15 hall with its cross passage and porch at the south end; to the south east is the C15/ C16 kitchen and to the south west an early C16 wing, beyond and between are later extensions; to the north and north west of the hall is the former solar wing, remodelled in the C17 and C20 centuries, but possibly incorporating C16 work. Hall and porch: 2 storeys; two restored 2-light windows with 4-centred heads and under-linked hood moulds; 2 storey gabled projecting porch with diagonal buttresses, a moulded 4-centred doorway and a 2-light casement window with cinquefoil heads above. Extending from the porch is an early C16 wing of 2 storeys and 5 bays with a further bay in a cross wing at the south end: mixture of 2- and 3-light casement windows some with plain mullions and in architraves and some with ovolo moulded mullions and under dripmoulds; central 1-2-1-light oriel window with a pierced parapet and a moulded cill; 4 centred heads to the oriel lights and to the first floor windows to the right, cusping to window in cross wing. Behind the north end of the south wing can be seen the pyramidal roof of the stair tower. Single storey and attic service and office wing extends further south. Projecting to the north west of the hall is a 2 storey,5 bay early Cl7 wing: 2-light cross and casement windows with ovolo moulded mullions and under continuous dripmould to right. Projecting beyond and setback is rear of north front: paired multi-pane sash windows. North (entrance elevation is part of C15/C16 house, extensively remodelled and consisting of 2 storeys and attics in 3 gables which are surmounted by stacks: 7 windows on ground and 6 on frist floor, 2- and 3-light cross and casement windows, both in plain architraves and with ovolo moulded mullions and surrounds. Central panelled door flanked by tall single lights. Interior. Hall: 4 bay arch- braced collar beam roof supported on carved corbels, with 4 tiers of carved windbraces; restored 4-centred fireplace with carved spandrels; at south end are timber framed screens with traceried heads, C15 to left, restored to right, above an internal jetty supports a timber framed screen; at the upper (north) end are 2 restored arches of east and west oriels, panelled soffit to east and grotesque mask of squint over. Parlour/sitting room; restored, framed ceiling with classical motifs in plaster; Gothic style fireplace. Entrance hall and drawing room: C18 panelling, drawing room restored. Staircase: c.1635 dog-leg stair with turned balusters and pendants, arcaded approach of Corinthian columns on newel posts; two 4-centred doorways with enriched spandrels, plank studded doors. Dining room: early C17 panelling, reassembled from other parts of the house, figure carving in the upper parts. Oriel room: early C17 ashlar fireplace with initials of Edward Stephens and his wife (ESA), 4-centred head and carved frieze. Porch room: early C17 panelling, fireplace with 4-centred head and Henry Stephens' initials. Passage room: C17 panelling and fireplace with 4-centred head. (Country Life, 7.X.22. Verey D, The Buildings of England : Gloucestershire, the Cotswolds, 1970).

Listing NGR: ST7598082897

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 10, (1922), 7

National Grid Reference: ST 75980 82897

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 03:48:42.