List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE ELDER

List entry Number: 1114993

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE ELDER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
South GloucestershireUnitary AuthorityHorton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 34694

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 78 NE HORTON

5/70 Parish Church of St. James the 3.3.61 Elder G.V. I

Parish Church (Anglican). C12; rebuilt C14, altered C15 and C16 and restored in 1865. West tower; nave; north aisle; south porch; chancel. Ashlar and coursed squared rubble; Cotswold stone slate roofs behind plain parapets. West tower: Perpendicular style, of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses which end in pilasters with pinnacles; embattled parapet. 3-light bell chamber windows with stone louvres and cusped heads to the tracery; 3-light west window with small embattled transoms to the tracery, all under a hood mould. Nave: two 3-light windows, as the west window but without the embattled transoms; projection for rood stair. South porch: Perpendicular style, 2 storeys with diagonal buttresses; polygonal stair turret surmounted by a spirelet at north west corner; chamfered doorway and 2-light casement above. Chancel: much restored; 2 bays with windows similar to the nave; priest's door; 5-light east window similar to the west window. North aisle and north chapel: 3 windows similar to west window; buttresses with off-sets; north door with chamfered surround. Interior. South porch: ribbed tierceron-vault with Agnus Dei on central boss; corner jamb shafts with carved capitals, minstrels to the north, grotesque beasts to the south; moulded doorcase with 4-centred head, square hood mould; image niche over; ogee headed stoup. Nave: 3 bay C14 arcade, cylindrical piers with octagonal caps; chamfered arches, the respond of the west arch rests on a grotesque corbel; Perpendicular tower arch with concave moulding; Perpendicular chancel arch and arches to north chapel, cylindrical shafts; wagon roofs. Remains of ashlar rood stair with 4-centre doorways, one of which leads to an enriched Jacobean pulpit on a C15 panelled, vase-shaped base. Font: C12, recut in C17; panelled octagonal bowl on circular base, C17 cover. In the chancel is a pillar piscina with a carved capital and an octagonal shaft. Glass: reassembled mediaeval fragments in the east window of the north chapel. Monuments. North chapel: Ann Austin, died 1731, grey and white marble, baroque tablet with volutes; William Paston, died c.1673, baroque, grey and white marbles, segmental pediment, winged cherubic heads, gadrooned base; William Paston, died 1769, by James Paty of Bristol, coloured and white marbles, gadrooned sarcophagus, heraldry and inscribed plinth. John Paston, died 1737, grey and white marble, flat obelisk inscribed panel with gadrooned base, heraldry. Nave: Baron de Tuyll, 1913, by W.C.H. King, Art Nouveau plaque, female figures to sides of anurn. Hatchment in tower. (Verey D, The Buildings of England : Gloucestershire ; The Cotswolds, 1970).

Listing NGR: ST7659885043

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: ST 76600 85035

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 07:58:39.