List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1113954

Location

THE OLD HOUSE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Central BedfordshireUnitary AuthorityAspley Guise

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 38112

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 9436-9536 ASPLEY GUISE CHURCH STREET 5/9 The Old House 22.10.52 GV II* House. Built c.1575 by Edmund Harding with early C20 reworkings. Substantial timber frame with red brick infill, and some red brick rebuilding to fron elevation. Ironstone plinth. Slate roofs. H-plan, 2 storeys and attics. Front (W) elevation: off-centre C20 2-storey and attics porch gable projects from main block, with brick ground floor and weatherboarded upper floors. Ground and first floors have 1:1:2:1 sashes with glazing bars in moulded surrounds. Cross-wings each have semi-circular window with radiating glazing bars to attic. Main block has 1:2 hipped dormers with sashes. Cross-wings each have substantial external chimney stack with 3 diagonal shafts to outer wall, shafts of LH stack truncated. Adjoining to LH and incorporating external stack is later block. Externally C19 brick but probably reworking earlier (possibly C17) structure. Clay tile roof. 2 storeyed. Cambered arched carriageway toLH 2-light casements with glazing bars. Part-glazed door under sloping bracketed hood. Rear elevaton: cross-wings project further than at front, and each has smaller 2-storeyed gable adjoining to inner wall, projecting to same line. Similar sashes to front ones. Semi-circular windows to cross-wing attics. Main block has off-centre substantial external stack of' red brick on coursed stone base. In front of this, filling and projecting from central recessed bay, is semi-octagonal single-storeyed addition, early C19 but reworked C20 when canopied trelliswork verandah removed. lnterior: S cross-wing ground floor room has early C17 panelling with fluted pilasters, strap-worked beams, 2-leaf door in moulded archivolt with keyblock, and large ashlar chimneypiece with composite columns and broken entablature. First floor room above this has early C17 panelling and plasterwork ceiling of same date showing Cupid at centre of ornate strapwork design. Other ground and first floor rooms have C17 and C18 panelling, some of it imported. C18 staircase with carved spandrels, turned balusters, moulded handrail and fielded panelled dado. Woburn Sands and District Society The Story of Aspley Guise, 1980 p.14.

Listing NGR: SP9440036218

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Woburn Sands and District Society - Title: The Story of Aspley Guise - Date: 1980 - Page References: 14 - Type:

National Grid Reference: SP 94400 36218

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 02:51:18.