List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SCHOOL HOUSE AND ATTACHED LABORATORIES AT LEIGHTON PARK SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1113577

Location

SCHOOL HOUSE AND ATTACHED LABORATORIES AT LEIGHTON PARK SCHOOL, SHINFIELD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ReadingUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1978

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 39165

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHINFIELD ROAD 1. 5128 School House and attached Laboratories at Leighton Park School SU 77 SW 17/567 II 2. Formerly Pepper House 1830. Belonged to the Cobham family. Extended 1891 by Alfred Waterhouse for School. School House: 2 storeys and basement. Painted brick on plinth. Flanking corner piers. Stone architraves and bracket cills, Moulded string at 1st floor level. Cornice and blocking course. 6 windows on 1st floor with panels below. 2 on ground floor, left hand tripartite with bracket cornice, right hand an angled bay with pilasters and cornice. Cross glazed sash windows. Central circa 1840s large Tuscan porch. Recessed doorway with flanking niches. Shaped border in front for former fountain. South front 1:5:1 bays, outer bays break forward with corner piers and tripartite windows. Central half glazed door. Terrace in front with small ha-ha and retaining wall. School laboratories extension: Facing west a slight gabled break and a 3 bay deep break linked to further block to north by arch with passage. Tall 2 storey and basement. Grey brick with red brick quoins, dressings and lacing bands. Red brick plinth capping and stepped verge to gables. Segmental headed plate glass sash windows. Slate roof. Small extension to east with tile-hung lavatory oriel.

Listing NGR: SU7327471438

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 73274 71438

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 09:06:56.