List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWN COUNCIL CHAMBER AND OFFICES WITH CLOCK TOWER

List entry Number: 1113400

Location

TOWN COUNCIL CHAMBER AND OFFICES WITH CLOCK TOWER , BLAGRAVE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ReadingUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Dec-1978

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 38761

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIAGRAVE STREET 1. 5128 Town Council Chamber and Offices with Clock Tower (Formerly listed as Town Hall and Municipal Offices (The block designed by Sir Alfred Waterhouse only)) SU 7173 NE 1/26 22.3.57. II* GV 2. 1872-75 (foundation stone 1874) by Alfred Waterhouse. French Gothic style. 2 storeys and attic. 5 storey tower. Built in red and grey brick with terracotta ornaments. Tower placed to close vistas from Friar Street and Market Place. The whole is modest in scale and surprising in its use of the local materials, uncharacteristically 'soft' for Waterhouse. Tower is over entrance lobby. Corbelled polygonal buttresses at corners with finials and steep saddle back roof. Clock below belfry screen. Pointed arch entrance with shields and date in spandrels. To left the Council Chamber, 4 bays with slight break gabled to left. Paired lights in segmental headed recesses to ground floor. Tall lancets with label moulds and polychromed tympana over 2 light double transom windows which contain Waterhouse pink grisaille glass. Roundel with arms of Borough in gable below attic window. 1 gabled dormer. To right of tower the effect altered by removal of 2nd tower following war damage. Angled round to east, 3 storeys with modillion cornice to pierced parapet. 4 bays divided by diagonal buttresses; 2 light transomed windows in segmental headed recesses. Interior: Rich entrance lobby leads to stair hall with enclosed arcaded staircase, segmental arches whose mouldings lie into piers. Council chamber retains original fittings, Gothic fireplace, gallery, benches, tables etc.

Listing NGR: SU7166773577

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 71674 73578

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 10:01:08.