List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS

List entry Number: 1113246

Location

OLD CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS, PANCRAS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477696

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2983SE PANCRAS ROAD 798-1/84/1267 (East side) 10/06/54 Old Church Of St Pancras

GV II*

Church. C11 core with later medieval additions. Rebuilt and enlarged 1847-8 by AD Gough and RL Roumieu who extended the nave westwards. They destroyed the south porch and west tower, replacing them with a new vestry on the north and the south tower. Further restoration in 1871 and 1888 by AW Blomfield who remodelled in 'Norman' style. Further restored c1925 and in 1979-80 by Erith and Terry. Coarsed rubble with stone dressings and flint east facade; pantiled and slated roofs. Rectangular, aisleless plan. EXTERIOR: nave with 5 windows plus 3 window C19 extension. 3 window chancel. Western porch with moulding carved in C19 Romanesque style, flanked by round-arched lancets with hoodmoulds with labelstops forming strings at the angles and continuing around the nave over similar windows. Continuous sill string. Traceried oculus above the porch. North and south elevations of extension with Lombard frieze at eaves level. Chancel with some remains of Romanesque work in north and south doorways and in part of a C13 lancet window; square-headed east window of 4 segmental-arched lights, in slightly projecting gabled bay. South tower in 3 stages: setback buttresses flanking a round-arched lancet; round-arched recess with clock above 2 arches to blind arcading; half-timbered belfry with louvred panels and tiled roof with projecting eaves. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted to contain some C16-19 monuments and a C6 altar-stone. HISTORICAL NOTE: by origin one of the very oldest churches in London, though much rebuilt, after the building in 1822 of St Pancras (New) Church, Upper Woburn Place (qv), the old church became a chapel of ease but in 1863 was reinstated as a parish church. (Survey of London: Vol. XIX, Old St Pancras and Kentish Town (St Pancras II): London: -1938: 73-95; RCHME: London: Vol II, West London: London: -1925: 88-89; Clarke B: Parish Churches of London: London: -1966: 136-7).

Listing NGR: TQ2978683438

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Old St Pancras and Kentish Town The Parish of St Pancras Part 2: Volume 19 , (1938), 73-95
Other
Inventory of the historical monuments in London Volume 2 West London excluding Westminster Abbey, (1925)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29786 83438

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 06:13:24.