List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1113236

Location

24, 26 AND 28, OVAL ROAD
38-46, JAMESTOWN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Jul-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477686

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2883NE JAMESTOWN ROAD 798-1/76/1258 Nos.38-46 (Even) 06/07/81

GV II

See under: Nos.24, 26 AND 28 OVAL ROAD.



CAMDEN

TQ2883NE OVAL ROAD 798-1/76/1258 (East side) 06/07/81 Nos.24, 26 AND 28

GV II

Formerly known as: Gilbey House OVAL ROAD. Includes: Nos.38-46 JAMESTOWN ROAD. Factory, store and offices. 1894 by William Hucks with addition of 1937 by Mendelsohn and Chermayeff; for wine importers and gin distillers Gilbey's. Original block to south-east: of concrete reinforced with hoop iron. Exterior rendered; channelled rustication to ground floor and channelled pilaster strips rising from 1st to 4th floor. 5 storeys plus attic and basement. 10 bays to Jamestown Road. Plain, square-headed entrances to ground floor including 2 vehicle entrances to left. Square-headed, recessed metal framed windows, most with small panes. Subsidiary cornice above 3rd floor, main cornice above 4th floor. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: an early example of reinforced concrete construction. 1937 block: of reinforced concrete frame filled with concrete panels; ground floor brown glazed tiles, upper floors rendered. Corner site; 7 storeys, with 6 bays to Oval Road and 7 bays to slightly concave Jamestown Road facade. International Modern idiom. Recessed main entrance to left of Oval Road facade with full height projecting square-sided bay window above with floor to ceiling glazing (emphasising the position of executive offices). Other windows form horizontal strips separated by vertical mullions. Teak 2-light window frames, plate glass. To Jamestown Road, the 6th floor rooms are recessed to incorporate a loggia with cast-iron railings. Projecting cornice above 6th floor. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building incorporates technical innovations by consulting engineer Felix Samuely, e.g. the foundations are floated on cork insulation to protect the wine from the vibration of nearby trains. Air conditioning too was incorporated. Until recent years known as Gilbey House. Gilbey's, formed in 1857, by 1914 occupied 20 acres in Camden.





Listing NGR: TQ2856083989

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 28560 83989

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2014 at 01:24:46.