List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE WITH ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1113230

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE WITH ST PAUL, OSENEY CRESCENT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477680

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2984NW OSENEY CRESCENT 798-1/55/1252 Church of St Luke with St Paul 10/06/54 (Formerly Listed as: OSNEY CRESCENT Church of St Luke with St Paul)

II*

Church. c1867-1869. By Basil Champneys. Red brick with stone dressings. Tiled roof. STYLE: early English detail with North German influenced tower. PLAN/EXTERIOR: nave of 4 bays with narrow lean-to aisles, two porches, chancel with tower above and south chapel, north organ chamber; buttressed polygonal apse with vestry. Buttressed tower at crossing with saddleback roof a distinctive landmark. Gabled west end with 3 lancets and plate tracery rose window. Paired pointed windows to aisles, having a continuous stone band at impost level, and clerestory. Apse with plate tracery; tower with 3 arcaded openings to belfry and plate tracery round opening above on each face. INTERIOR: nave arcades with cylindrical pillars having moulded bases and capitals carrying moulded arches. Between the arches shafts on corbels rise to the wall plates and carry the principal roof timbers. The roof is ceiled with panels of timber boarding divided by moulded ribs. The clerestory windows are set within plain reveals with central detached shaft, and the west windows are united into one composition by a shafted arch. Floor paved with red and black tiles; all the wall surfaces are of exposed red brick with one band of stone in the aisles and another in the gallery, both at the level of the springing of the window arches. Richer east end. Crossing three steps above the nave, has tall arch to east and west with a plain chamfered outer order and inner moulded order supported on paired colonnettes with moulded capitals and bases. The crossing and sanctuary with brick vaults carried on moulded ribs and shafts in the angles, circular bellway in centre of stone. Upper walls enriched by blind arcading. South chapel with door to sacristy, enriched with ironwork decoration, chevron painting to roof. Fittings: sanctuary with reredos up six more steps, floor paved in medieval-style decorative tiles. Credence of alabaster under trefoiled arch; sedilia in south wall stepping up towards the east with small vaults within triangular arches. Reredos added c1932. Lectern a brass eagle of 1882



from St Paul's Camden Square. Octagonal font with oak cover. Oak pews in nave. Willis organ, 1893. Stained glass: 3 east windows of 1868 designed by H Holliday for Heaton, Butler and Bayne depicting St Paul and St Mary; Christ Arising, Christ Ascending and The Creation; St Mary Magdalene and St Luke. Chancel clerestory windows of 1895. Aisles contain a series depicting the twelve apostles, all c1880-90 by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. The south clerestory has four windows by William Morris and Company, 1910, stored elsewhere in the building when inspected in 1994; the designs of Sts Alphege and Edward the Confessor taken from figures by Burne-Jones and Sts Thomas of Canterbury and Hugh of Lincoln from Henry Dearle, the glass painters were Glasby and Burrows. West window of the Archangels Gabriel, Michael and Raphael, under circular composition depicting Angels with Musical Instruments adoring the Lamb of God; all by Heaton, Butler and Bayne 1891. Sacristy east window of the Annunciation done in silver stain, c1880. Willis organ of 1893. HISTORICAL NOTE: St Luke's was paid for by the Midland Railway to replace the original St Luke's on the Euston Road, destroyed by their compulsory clearances to lay new lines. This is the first of few churches by the noted Queen Anne architect Basil Champneys; he was commissioned by his father, the Revd. WW Champneys, vicar of St Pancras parish - not without some acrimony from the architect of the previous St Luke's. (Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood, Parish of St Pancras IV: London: -1952: 143).



Listing NGR: TQ2949784930

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Kings Cross neighbourhood The Parish of St Pancras Part 4: Volume 24 , (1951), 143

National Grid Reference: TQ 29497 84930

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2014 at 04:30:36.