List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE HILL GARDEN CRUCIFORM PERGOLA

List entry Number: 1113202

Location

THE HILL GARDEN CRUCIFORM PERGOLA, NORTH END WAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1978

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477627

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2686NW NORTH END WAY 798-1/8/1225 The Hill Garden cruciform pergola 14/12/78 (Formerly Listed as: NORTH END WAY Cruciform pergola in Hill Garden at Inverforth House)

GV II*

4 colonnaded pergolas, aligned westwards on Inverforth House (qv), and forming a cross plan on the central axis. Western arm leads to the Bridge (qv), short eastern stub to the Formal Pond (qv) and southern arm links to Southern Pergola (qv). c1906-10. By Thomas H Mawson as part of a garden scheme for Lord Leverhulme at The Hill (now Inverforth House). This part of the garden is now in separate ownership to the house; for the house garden features see under Inverforth House, North End Way entries. Paired and single Doric columns of Portland stone carrying a timber pergola superstructure imitating a Doric entablature. Brick pavement with stone balustrading. North and south arms raised on western side over brick terrace retaining walls forming continuous outbuildings with 3-light square headed windows having concrete lintels. Western arm similarly raised to cover low ground to bridge; this arm terminated in a conservatory before Mawsons 1912 extensions. HISTORICAL NOTE: the terraces were constructed using spoil from the Hampstead Tube excavation. Excellent views. The garden was divided when the house became a hospital; this part of the garden is open to the public.





Listing NGR: TQ2609686701

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 26096 86701

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 02:43:17.