List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF CHRIST THE KING AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND WALLS

List entry Number: 1113038

Location

CHURCH OF CHRIST THE KING AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND WALLS, GORDON SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477365

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2982SE GORDON SQUARE 798-1/94/597 (West side) 10/06/54 Church of Christ the King and attached railings and walls

GV I

Formerly known as: Catholic Apostolic Church GORDON SQUARE. Church, now the Church of England Chaplaincy to the University of London. c1851-4. By JR Brandon. Bath stone ashlar with tiled roofs. PLAN/STYLE: cruciform plan, with central tower, in Early English style on a cathedral scale. 5-bay aisled nave with full triforium and clerestory, 3-bay sanctuary with side aisles and 3-bay Lady Chapel. EXTERIOR: gabled entrance porch, at east end, with angle buttresses, moulded, pointed arch entrance above which a 2-light and oculus plate tracery window; linked to the Lady Chapel with octagonal turret and 2-light room. Entrance on the north side of the church approached by a cloister walk from the porch. East facade of Lady Chapel with arcaded lancet windows, above which a small rose window and gable. Gabled and pinnacled buttresses. Gabled east facade of nave with 3 large lancets, above which 5 smaller lancets. Octagonal corner turrets with gabled niches and terminating in spires with gablets. South facade with paired lancets to Lady Chapel separated by gabled buttresses; parapet, 2 roof dormers and lantern. 2-light, plate tracery aisle windows with quatrefoils. Paired pointed clerestory windows, those in the sanctuary being single. Pinnacled buttresses and corbelled parapets. Gabled transept with octagonal turrets at angles terminating with gablets and spires. Tripartite lancets at ground and 1st storey level with rose window above. Tower base with mostly blind arcading. West end unfinished in brick apart from entrance in stone. 3 lancets. INTERIOR: nave has timber hammer beam roof with angels and central bosses of snowflake design; double-arcaded triforium. Roll moulded crossing arches on clustered columns. C19 south transept rose window, by Archibald Nicholson, with dove in centre surrounded by musician angels and cherubim and seraphim. In the lancets below Christ in Majesty with ranks of saints, apostles and angels and earth below. Sanctuary roof rib-vaulted in stone with foliated bosses. Brass sanctuary lamp by Pugin. Screen behind high alter with open traceried window to Lady Chapel. The Lady Chapel, formerly the English Chapel, with richly painted timber roof and stone angel



corbels. Deeply cut stone sedilia around the chapel. C20 glass. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with foliated finials and brick and stone walls to areas. HISTORICAL NOTE: built as the headquarters of the Catholic Apostolic Church of the Irvingites, but only 5 of the 7 projected nave bays were completed; the west wall was a temporary one. The uncompleted crossing tower was designed to have a spire 300 feet high. When the last Catholic Apostolic priest died in 1963 the church became part of the Anglican University Chaplaincy, becoming the sole place of worship in 1968. (Survey of London: Vol. XXI, Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood, St Pancras III: London: -1949: 92).



Listing NGR: TQ2972482163

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Survey of London - Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood St Pancras Part 3: Volume 21 - Date: 1949 - Journal Title: Survey of London - Page References: 92

National Grid Reference: TQ 29721 82159

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 05:29:13.