List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STEAM LOCOMOTIVE WATER POINT

List entry Number: 1113023

Location

STEAM LOCOMOTIVE WATER POINT, CAMLEY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-May-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jun-2003

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477350

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



798-1/84/587 CAMLEY STREET 11-JUN-03 Steam Locomotive Water Point (Formerly listed as: GOODS WAY LOCOMOTIVE WATER POINT NORTH OF ST PAN ST PANCRAS STATION) (Formerly listed as: EUSTON ROAD WATER POINT NORTH OF ST PANCRAS)

II Steam Locomotive Water Point. C.1870, probably by the office of Sir George Gilbert Scott, for the Midland Railway. EXTERIOR: red brick with yellow stone dressings, iron water tank within. Rectangular structure in three tiers. Lower tier with arched doors to sides, with radiating voussoirs above; moulded stone plinth bands and string course. Middle tier with seven bay arcades to long sides, with stone capitals to pilasters and alternate brick and stone voussoirs. Corbel table above. Upper tier entirely of brick, with blind arcade with round-headed arches. HISTORY: this formerly served Midland Railway steam locomotives departing from St Pancras Station. The structure was in place by 1872, when the 'Quarterly Review' criticised the inappropriate use of Gothic for a functional structure of this sort. It was one of a pair of structures, the other (long demolished) housing hydraulic lifting gear used to raise beer barrels from the station undercroft. Redundant following the disappearance of steam from main line use in the early 1960s, it was first listed in 1974. The construction of the Channel Tunnel Rail Link necessitated the relocation of the structure to its present location on Camley Street. This was undertaken in November 2001, with funding assistance from the Heritage Lottery Fund, when the structure was removed in three parts and re-erected 700 m. north of its old location. The Morton Partnership Ltd were the consulting engineers responsible. It is an exceptionally architectural example of a water point, and related historically and stylistically with the great terminus of St Pancras. SOURCE: report by Pre-Construct Archaeology, 'A Survey of Historic Pipe-work at the Waterpoint, St Pancras (2001). Listing NGR: TQ2989983551

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pre-Construct Archaeology - Title: A Survey of Historic Pipe-work at the Waterpoint, St Pancras - Date: 2001 - Type:

National Grid Reference: TQ 29899 83551

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 02:48:45.