List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST WILFRED

List entry Number: 1111897

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST WILFRED, A69

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityWetheral

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Sep-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77754

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WETHERAL A69, WARWICK BRIDGE NY 45 NE (South Side)

6/172 Church of St Mary and St Wilfred 1. 4.57. (Formerly listed as Church of St Mary).

II*

Roman Catholic Church. 1841 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin for Henry Howard of Corby Castle. Red sandstone snecked ashlar walls, slate roof with coped gables. Nave of 4 bays, single bay chancel, gabled south porch, added sacristy to south wall of chancel. Nave has buttressed walls and angles, with alternating large and small lancets, larger windows of Y-shaped tracery and cusped heads. West entrance and porch have pointed entrance arches with moulded surrounds and hood moulds ending in mitred heads. West gable has 3 lancets with trefoil heads and hood moulds, surmounted by hexagonal bellcote. Interior has open timber roof, all painted and decorated with gold. Stone font beside south entrance, cut-stone pulpit on south wall of nave, beside chancel arch, has entrance from sacristy and decorated with figurative painted panels. Corresponding niche on north wall has figure of the Virgin. Text painted around dado panels, with decorative motifs painted on splays of the smaller lancets. Stained glass of 1860, 65 and 67, by Harrington of London, presented by Philip Howard. Chancel has screen of carved and painted wood with central crucifix, flanked by Virgin Mary and St Wilfred. Decorative painted ribbed plank ceiling and painted walls. Stepped altar, heavily gilded with metal work to Pugin's designs, flanked by 2 small coronas by Pugin. Sedilia and piscina in south wall; Easter-Sepulchre-like recess to north wall with tomb of Henry Howard (q.v.), died 1842. Retains all of original decorations much to Pugin's designs. See, Pheobe Stanton, Pugin, p.94-97.

Listing NGR: NY4752156817

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Stanton, P - Title: Pugin - Date: 1971 - Page References: 94-97

National Grid Reference: NY 47521 56817

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 05:03:22.