List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT

List entry Number: 1111748

Location

CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentDoverDistrict AuthorityGoodnestone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 177925

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GOODNESTONE KNOWLTON TR 25 SE 3/64 Church of St Clement 11.10.63 GV I Parish Church, originally a chapel to Knowlton Court. C14/C15 origin, largely restored 1855 by William White. Flint with plain tiled roof.Chancel and nave only. The fenestration is largely C19 in Geometric and Perpendicular styles, the west window the most unrestored (C15). Offset buttresses to nave and chancel corners also survive pre-C19. Kneelered gables, bell cote and cross finials all C19 with lozenge set clock face on west wall. Interior: west end of nave stepped in and recessed from main body. Chancel stepped in with chamfered arch on corbels . Plastered barrel roof with slender detached ribs only touching ceiling at ridge line. Fittings: ogee headed piscina and 2 C19 ogee headed niches on east wall. Turned baluster altar rail (possibly given with new altar in 1716). Pulpit: C17 style, but probably early C20, octagonal with arcaded panels and strapwork frieze, with ramped rail. Two lower reading desks mid C19. Box pews, font and fittings, especially iron corona lucis all mid C19. Wooden relief carved and painted arms of Charles II, over the north door. Hatchment in chancel with 2 military banners. Stained glass of 1850s and 1860s throughout the church. Monuments: in the nave, Elizabeth Peyton, d. 1642. White and black wall plaque, with bowled oval centre with palm fronds on swagged and scrolled base, with broken segmental pediment over; two C18 or late C17 white oval cartouche wall plaques in memory of Thomas Peyton, d. 1510, and John Peyton, d. 1560. In the chancel: Samuel Peyton, d. 1623. Black and white wall tablet on bolection moulded base with draped apron and Death's Head, with scrolled and lugged side pieces with small festoons, and broken segmental pediment with Arms over. Thomas Peyton, d.1610. Black and white and gilt wall tablet, with raised central section to head, bracketed and festooned with scrolled sides and with bracket; ears and 3 achievements Over. Both monuments erected by Thomas Peyton jnr. Sir John Narborough and James Narborough, both d. 1707, in shipwreck off the Scillies with Sir Cloudesley Shovel. His monument in Westminster Abbey was, like this one, raised by Dame Elizabeth Shovel, the mother by previous marriage of the 2 Narborough brothers, and wife of Sir Cloudesley. The monument at Westminster certainly, this one probably, by Grinling Gibbons. Standing monument in grey veined marble, with a tomb chest with whole panel front of naval relief, a ship of the line being wrecked on rocks. On the chest stand 2 large weeping putti and a plinth with the inscription, and bearing 2 gadrooned urns. Opposite a similar monument of chest tomb to Sir John Narborough, died 1688, with segmental headed and scrolled plinth over to Lady Elizabeth D'Aeth, d. 1721, daughter of Sir John Narborough. On the plinth is a lifesize relief medallion portrait of Lady Elizabeth, no beauty. Erected by Sir Thomas D'Aeth, who is commemorated on the plaque he raised before his own death in 1744 to Thomas D'Aeth, d. 1708 exhumed from North Cray, and Elhannah D'Aeth, 1717, placed over the monument to Lady Elizabeth D'Aeth. Black and white tablet on apron with brackets, fluted pilasters and triglyph frieze and cornice with 2 oil lamp finials and central Achievement. Sir Narborough D'Aeth, d. 1808. White wall plaque on fluted base, with half-relief carving of draped canister-shaped urn supported by an open book and Pelican in Piety, and with a weeping willow behind and above. (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983, p. 368; see also Country Life, 39).

Listing NGR: TR2799453444

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 39, ()

National Grid Reference: TR 28160 53353

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 08:17:50.