List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1109853

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, ALPORT LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireDerbyshire DalesDistrict AuthorityYoulgreave

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 81103

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

20/21 63 20/21 64 PARISH OF YOULGREAVE ALPORT LANE 6/103 (South Side) 12.7.67 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS GV I

Parish church. Late C12, early C14, C15 and C16, restored 1869-70 by Norman Shaw. Ashlar gritstone, coursed squared gritstone and gritstone and limestone rubble with gritstone dressings and quoins. Stepped plinth with moulded copings, continuous sill band, to all except north nave aisle,and coved eaves band. Roof hidden by embattled parapets with ridgeback copings. Tall Perp ashlar, three stage west tower, clerestoried nave with north and south aisles to three eastern bays, aisless to two western bays, lower chancel and south porch. West tower has full height stepped angle buttresses to all sides and deeply moulded Perp west doorcase with hoodmould and C19 doors: Large Perp, 3-light panel traceried window above with hoodmould and rosettes to either side of the stops, tracery restored in C19. Moulded stringcourse over with 2-light chamfered mullion windows with hoodmoulds above to all sides. To south side of tower in the eastern corner, a polygonal staircase turret up to the second stage, broached to base and topped with embattled parapets. Second stage has clockface to west side , dated 1870, with pairs of pointed and moulded, louvred bell openings with cusped tracery and continuous sill band and hoodmoulds, above. Coved cornice with central and corner gargoyles over, topped by embattled parapets with corner and central crocketed pinnacles. North elevation has blank wall of coursed squared gritstone below two, early C16, 3-light recessed and chamfered mullioned clerestory windows with segmental headed lights and incised spandrels,to aisless section of nave. North nave aisle ,of limestone and gritstone rubble,has C19 3-light flat headed west window with cusped ogee headed lights and pierced spandrels. Similar 2-light windows to east of blocked, chamfered, pointed doorcase with hoodmould to north facade. East aisle window similar but taller and original. Corner buttresses to either end of aisle, and above four clerestory windows similar to those to west. Chancel to east has C19 pointed, 3-light window with cusped stepped lights,and beyond buttress to east, a deeply recessed, flat headed panel tracery window. Perp, 5-light east window with panel tracery, restored in C19, with hoodmould over and lower sections of window blocked in stone, has diagonal buttresses to either side. South chancel elevation has C19 3-light window with stepped cusped lights, also blocked to base, to either side of adjoining central buttress and pointed, chamfered doorcase. East window to south nave aisle similar to clerestory windows, whilst south elevation has two early C14 windows with buttress between, that to east 3-light with intersecting tracery and hoodmould, that to west Y-traceried with carved head label stops to sides. Projecting south porch to west has diagonal buttresses either side of moulded, pointed doorcase with additional soffit mould, beyond inner door chamfered with hoodmould and carved labels. Above outer door, a cusped niche with corbel for statue and to either side of porch, small single light windows. Beyond to west the nave aisle has similar west window to that on north aisle and nave wall has similar window again, but probably C15, with segmental tomb niche below. Six clerestory windows above similar to those to north. Interior has three bay south and north arcades, that to south late C12 with semi-circular, double chamfered arches on columns with many-scalloped capitals, that to north later with slightly pointed double chamfered arches on thinner columns with volute capitals, also decorated with heads. Perp tower arch with moulded jambs and capitals and C19 Dec style wooden screen at base. C19 wide, pointed, double chamfered chancel arch. Fine C15, heavily moulded, ribbed roof with carved central bosses to nave, C19 copies to chancel and nave aisles. Mosaic reredos, panel traceried wooden choir stalls with elaborate poppy heads, brass altar rail, and pulpit designed by Norman Shaw, nave pews very simple but probably also by Shaw. Several stained glass windows, including fine 1876 east window by Burne-Jones, an 1894 window to south and C20 window to north of chancel. Numerous memorials, including good wall memorial to Rogerus Rooe in north nave aisle of 1613 in painted limestone with classical aedicule, topped by coat of arms and below, in semi-circular arch, two kneeling figures of man and a woman with altar between inscribed 'Hic iacet Rogerus Rooe de Alport AR. Qui Obiit 30 Aprlis AN Dom 1613', beneath eight small girls praying. To east wall of north aisle is an alabaster plaque of 1492 to Robert and Julia Gilbert with central figure of the Virgin and to sides the kneeling figures of Julia and numerous daughters and Robert with numerous sons, around the edge a Latin inscription. Just to north of this, a small brass memorial to Fridswide Gilbert, probably early C17,with figure of lady dressed in Elizabethan costume. Above, to north, a classical style memorial with swags and cherubs to Carolius Greaves of 1729. To north side of the chancel, is a C14 effigy of a knight with his feet on a lion and to the centre of the chancel, a fine marble tomb in alabaster to Thomas Cockayne, who died 1488 with a diminutive effigy of a knight in armour to the top with his feet on a lion and his head on a chicken, and figures of angels to the sides, holding painted coats of arms. Other memorials include two C19 marble ones to aisless part of nave and one in the tower with coat of arms dated 1685. Also in tower two C18 charity plaques and a lead plaque inscribed 'ED MOORE VIC IONT/CLARK RICH LONG-/DEN IAM ASHBOURNE/ CH WARDENS 1701'. Stone font in nave C12 with round bowl on central stem with four small columns to sides, bowl carved with decorative motifs and to south side it has an extra small bowl supported by salamander corbel. This font was removed from Elton Church in C19. Opposite the font to west of north arcade is a small figure in a semi- circular niche, probably a carving of a pilgrimage. Outside in porch, sit two large slate commandment plaques, probably C19.

Listing NGR: SK2121064373

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 21205 64372

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 11:00:53.