List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LEA HALL, GATEPIER, AND BOUNDARY WALL TO THE NORTH

List entry Number: 1109185

Location

LEA HALL, GATEPIER, AND BOUNDARY WALL TO THE NORTH, LEA MOOR ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireAmber ValleyDistrict AuthorityDethick, Lea and Holloway

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Aug-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78713

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 35 NW PARISH OF DETHICK, LEA AND HOLLOWAY LEA MOOR ROAD 1/66 (South Side) 13-2-67 Lea Hall, gatepier, and boundary wall to the north (formerly listed as Lea Hall) II*

House. Dated 1754 on door lintel but subjected to alterations and additions from C18 to C20. Ashlar gritstone front, rising from a stepped plinth, with chamfered quoins, modillioned cornice and parapet. Brick flanking wings, set back from main elevation, and rear elevation of coursed rubble gritstone with moulded kneelers and gable copings. Intermediate and gable end ridge stacks of ashlar, and stone slated roof coverings. Double pile plan. North range, north elevation. Seven bays, with two end bays lower and set back. Central five bays 2:1:2 with glazing bar sashes in moulded surrounds incorporating projecting keyblocks. Central bay delineated by fluted giant pilasters, which support a full entablature. Modillioned cornice is carried across the five bays, and is returned at the ends. The central bay is slightly advanced, and is approached by a shallow flight of five steps. Central doorway with Gibbs surround, and door with Gothic glazing. Flanking bays with semi-circular headed windows to ground floors and flat headed windows alive, all with stone surrounds, the former with key blocks to semi-circular arches. Sash frames, incorporating tracery made up of linked semi-circles. Rear elevation, in the characteristic vernacular style, with 2 and 3-light flush mullioned windows with glazing bar sashes and some C20 frames. An inscribed lintel reads PN 1754 Interior. Entrance hall with fine C18 staircase with turned and twisted balusters. C18 panelled doors and shutters. Rear pile has full height splat-baluster stair. Dentilled plaster cornice to western brick wing ground floor room. Boundary wall to north front, approximately 70 metres long, 2 metres high in coursed squared gritstone, incorporating a drinking trough at the east end, and terminating at a square gate pier with shallow pyramidal cap at the west end. Peter Nightingale; to whom the inscription is thought to refer, was a business contemporary of Arkwright who owned the lead smelting works at nearby Lea Bridge.

Listing NGR: SK3333357482

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 33333 57482

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 12:19:17.