List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT

List entry Number: 1109138

Location

CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireAmber ValleyDistrict AuthorityHorsley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78802

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARISH OF HORSLEY CHURCH STREET SK 34 SE 4/26 (West Side) 1.3.2.67 Church of St Clement

GV I

Parish church. Early C14, mid C15 with restoration 1858-60. Sandstone ashlar with sandstone dressings. Shallow pitched lead roofs with embattled parapets with ridgeback copings, mostly C19. Moulded plinth, sill stringcourses and coved eaves band. Western tower with broached stone spire, clerestoried nave with north and south aisles, lower chancel with single bays to north and south and south porch. Three stage west tower has stepped angle buttresses rising to the third stage, with gableted tops, those to south-west corner are placed against an external staircase turret with castellated top. South elevation of the tower has a small pointed chamfered doorcase under hoodmould with carved head labelstops. Above chamfered stringcourse in second stage is a cusped ogee headed lancet with hoodmould over. Above again is a 2-light louvred bell opening with reticulated tracery,hoodmould and chamfered sill stringcourse. West elevation has two C19 trefoil headed lancets to base and similar openings to those on south face above. North elevation is blank to ground floor and has openings similar to those on west side above Spire has moulded cornice to base with corner gargoyles and four gableted lucarnes to four sides on two levels, those below 2-light and those above single light . North aisle has low clasping corner buttresses and four C15 flat headed windows with cusped ogee headed lights and pierced spandrels, each set in deeply chamfered surround with hoodmould over. Three western ones are 2-light whilst that to east is 3-light. Between the windows are stepped buttresses and in the second bay from the west is a blocked pointed chamfered doorcase. Above,plain, slightly projecting parapets and the clerestory with eight segment headed, 2-light traceried windows arranged in pairs, with triangular pilasters between rising over the embattled parapets in crocketed pinnacles. East end of north aisle has similar 3-light window to that on north side except the head is slightly cambered. Chancel to east has similar 2-light window to those of north aisle, East elevation of chancel has central 3-light window similar to one on north aisle flanked by diagonal buttresses and with stringcourse below. Above, parapets have corner pinnacles and nave gable has 2-light flat headed window with cusped ogee headed lights. South side of chancel has similar window to north side,to east,and a small pointed doorcase with continuous hoodmould to west. South aisle has 3-light window with cambered head, deeply chamfered surround with moulded edge, hood- mould with corbelled-like labelstops, moulded mullions and cusped ogee headed lights with pierced spandrels, also stringcourse at sill level. South side of aisle has three similar 2-light windows, one beyond the south porch. Between the windows and to either end are stepped buttresses rising into crocketed pinnacles. East end of aisle has two gargoyles. South porch is C15 and has pointed doorcase with moulded jambs flanked by diagonal buttresses. Above is an ogee headed canopy and corbel for statuette and an original stone crucifix. The sides of porch each have 2-light flat headed windows with lobed heads to lights. Inner door is early C14 and has elaborate moulding with attached shafts and hoodmould over. Interior has three bay north and south arcades, both with pointed double chamfered arches and moulded capitals, southern arcade with columns and northern one with octagonal piers. Triple chamfered tower arch with moulded capitals to soffit mould and double chamfered, pointed chancel arch with soffit moulding on corbels, both have C20 oak screens across, that to tower arch installed 1950 and that to chancel arch, in Dec style, installed 1920. At west end of the chancel to either side, similar arches to chancel arch, that to north through to organ bay and that to south with wooden screen through to vestry. On north side of chancel to east is a small pointed C19 doorcase with similar C15 door opposite and beyond that to east is a triple C15 sedilla with cusped ogee headed niches, and shields to either side above. Nave has blocked pointed northern doorcase with carved C13 head over and also a Caernarvon arched doorcase at clerestory level, from the tower. North and south aisles both have piscinas in their easternmost bays. Also the south aisle has a continuous moulded sill band and moulded doorcase. Roofs all C19 in C16 style. Carved oak reredos installed 1928 and choir stalls in similar style installed 1935. Pulpit and nave pews all c1860. The font is C15 with octagonal bowl decorated with fleurons, stem probably restored in C19. Several wall memorials, mostly in black slate and white marble, including slightly grander one to William Brooks and wife with weeping classical figure over, of c1834 in the chancel. The vestry has one good memorial to Hudson family of c1870 and three other late C18 and early C19 ones. North aisle has three more black and white ones as well as an elaborate Gothick memorial by S Robinson of Derby to the Hunter family of c1870 and a nice classical alabaster and slate one of c1767 to the Fletcher family. West end of aisle also has a lead plaque inscribed 'John Woolly Church Warden July 4 1771'. Various stained glass windows, that to chancel east window of 1863, that to east of north aisle of c1860 and that to east of south aisle of c1890. Also two central windows of north aisle have stained glass by R A Bell of 1933 and one of south aisle windows has fragments of C14 glass.

Listing NGR: SK3754044502

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 37538 44498

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 05:43:44.