List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDING

List entry Number: 1109127

Location

CHURCH FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDING, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireAmber ValleyDistrict AuthorityDenby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78781

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 34 NE PARISH OF DENBY CHURCH STREET 1/3 (South Side) Church Farmhouse 13.2.67 and attached outbuilding GV II*

Farmhouse with attached outbuilding, now farmhouse, cottage and shop. Early C17, possibly with medieval core, greatly extended 1699 with C18, C19 and C20 alterations and additions. Rubble and ashlar sandstone, as well as red brick, partly with vitrified headers and partly rendered. Stone quoins and stone dressings, also stone plinth to east elevation. Plain tile roof with moulded stone copings on plain kneelers and one brick coped gable to north. One brick ridge stack to north, one large external brick stack to south with large inset panels to top and one large, stepped, external stone stack to east, made of massive stone blocks, also one C19 rendered brick stack to north gable on east elevation. Two storeys plus attics. Complex plan with earliest range to east, running north-south, and large addition of 1699 to west, running east-west, which has two gabled bays to south and northern bay with gable facing north. West elevation is of brick which is rendered to first floor to two north bays. Ground floor has a C19 2-light window with plain sashes to north, a pair of double glazed doors under C19 lintel to centre and a partly blocked and partly glazed opening under C19 lintel to south. Both central and southern openings are set in disturbed brickwork. Above, a plain sash to north, similar sash to centre set slightly higher, and C20 casement in southern bay also in disturbed brickwork. Above again in southern gable is a small glazing bar sash under C19 stone lintel. South elevation is rendered to east side and brickwork to west, with gabled crosswing to east. Ground floor has inserted stable door to west and beyond the external stack to east a C20 casement with similar smaller one on west wall of advanced bay. Above, a blocked opening over the inserted door and a glazing bar sash over the large C20 window, the gabled bay has a central plain sash. East elevation has stone section to north, central brick section to north of stone stack and rendered brick section to south. This rendered part has a plain sash to south and a C20 casement to north of a segment headed doorcase. To north, beyond the stack, is a C20 casement under plain stone lintel and a C20 glazed door under similar lintel. Beyond again in the stone area is an inserted C20 casement with a plain sash to north set in C17 recessed and chamfered opening with dripmould. Above, to south, two segment headed plain sashes and to north at half landing level is a small recessed and chamfered window. Above this the stonework is set back slightly and there is a 2-light recessed and chamfered mullion window. North elevation has gabled bay to east in stone with cross wing in stone to west, beyond which is the advanced brick bay of the 1699 addition with various later lean-tos attached to east and north. East bay has a gabled C19 brick porch with semi-circular headed doorcase to west and to east a central 2-light recessed and chamfered mullion window with dripmould. Above, is another similar window and to west is a similar 3-light window but without dripmould. Above again in the gable is a single light recessed and chamfered window. The advanced bay to west has C20 lean-to to ground floor, C20 casement window to second floor and central plain sash in gable. Above, to top of gable is a stone plaque inscribed 'John Lowe July the 2 1699'. Attached to east side of eastern bay is a C19 brick archway and a single storey outbuilding of rubble stone with corrugated asbestos roof, stone coped gables, stone quoins and C20 window and doors to north side. Interior of house has fine open well, turned baluster C17 staircase with thick moulded handrail, ball finials and pendents, and splat baluster dog-gate, through three floors. It also has a complete C17 panelled bedroom, the remains of C18 panelling in one room and a splendid late C16 oak chimneypiece with fluted side pilasters, three semi-circular headed panels with incised decoration and a fluted frieze above, reputedly dated 1570 with DL initials. In coal shed to south-east corner of house is a remarkable oak beamed ceiling made up of a grid of elaborately enriched timbers.

Listing NGR: SK3981646461

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 39816 46461

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 02:33:43.