List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1109095

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireAmber ValleyDistrict AuthorityKirk Langley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78909

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 23 NE PARISH OF KIRK LANGLEY CHURCH LANE 5/70 (South Side) 13.2.67 Church of St Michael GV I Parish church. Early C14, late C14, C16, restoration 1839 and 1885 by Bodley and Garner. Coursed squared sandstone, sandstone ashlar, with sandstone dressings. Lead and plain tile roofs, stone coped gables. West tower, aisled nave, south vestry and chancel. West tower of two stages divided by a chamfered stringcourse. Angle buttresses linked to the battlemented parapet by pilaster strips. Chamfered plinth. South side has a single lancet with triangular head, to the west side a C19 doorway and a 2-light Dec window above with cusped ogee lights and hoodmould with head stops. The north side has a small lancet as on the south side and a clock face below. 2-light bell openings, early C14, with a transom, on all four sides. The north aisle has a C19 lancet in the west wall. Diagonal buttresses. On the north. side are five windows with Y-tracery, the second from the west is C19, replacing a doorway visible from within. A buttress after the third window. Clerestory of three plain 2-light. chamfered mullion windows under flat heads. Aedicule wall tablet with fluted half columns, to George Hodgkinson, died 1804. 3-light east window with bar tracery. The north side of the chancel has a C19 window with Y-tracery, a buttress, a window with Y-tracery, priest's doorway with roll moulding and hoodmould, a C19 lancet and a blocked doorway with a slate headstone set in. C19 east window of 4-lights with bar tracery. Blind quatrefoil above. The south side of the chancel has three windows with Y-tracery, the outer ones larger and C19. South aisle east window of three Tudor-arched lights with a transom and the remains of a hoodmould with head- stops relating to an earlier window. The south side has a 2-light window with a reticulation unit, and beyond the vestry two more, probably C19, windows with Y-tracery. The west window of two Tudor- arched lights within a square hood. Gabled vestry in battlemented Tudor-style, according to a faculty,built in 1889. Cusped 3-light window to south under a Tudor arch. 2-light window to east and a doorway to west. Octagonal chimney stack at the south east corner. The vestry and south aisle have diagonal buttresses. Clerestory as on the north side. Interior: Three bay arcades with octagonal piers and abaci, and double chamfered arches. Double chamfered tower arch, the inner order on corbels. Double chamfered chancel arch with semi-octagonal responds and moulded capitals. In the chancel, triple sedilia and piscina. C19 aumbry. Carved alabaster reredos with angels under crocketed gables. Squints on either side from the aisles. Monuments: Godfrey Meynell (chancel north) died 1854, A Gothic aedicule. Plain C17 and C18 inscribed tablets built into the north wall and one free-standing on the south side. One has a brass plate dated 1705. In the north chapel an incised slab to Alice Beresford, died 1511. In the south aisle, a tomb chest to Henry Role and wife, died 1559. Tablet to Charles Wilmot, died 1724, with scrolled pediment. Various C19 tablets, some signed by Hall of Derby. C19 parclose screen in south aisle, also in north aisle, incorporating medieval work. Rood screen by Bodley & Garner. Brass eagle of c1884. Plain octagonal fort on a C19 base. C17 font cover. Choir stalls and organ case probably by Bodley & Garner. C18 communion rail. Flemish stained glass dated 1631, in the south aisle east window. Possibly C14 tower screen with simple geometrical tracery, moved from the chancel.

Listing NGR: SK2864538851

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 28645 38854

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 07:17:31.