List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART

List entry Number: 1108880

Location

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART, ALBERT ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BournemouthUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 101700

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. ALBERT ROAD 5l86 (South East Side) Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart SZ O891 13/136 1.8.74.

II GV

2. 1872-4, Henry Clutton, enlarged and externally remodelled 1896-8 by A J Pilkington. Interior preserves most of Clutton: 3-bay arcades, Early French double-columns with shaft-rings and simplified capitals. Crossing arches similar, but clustered columns on foliage corbels. North aisle with transverse half-arches as buttresses, south aisle with gables at right-angles. Nave roof boarded, with big kingposts. East end all by Pilkington: short chancel, with east wall panelled in marble as background for reredos by P P Pugin, with 3 spirelets over statues, 8 smaller niches. Altar rail of strange Renaissance design (? Clutton): openwork brass foliage, with white marble portrait medallions of Jesuit saints, in shallow bow. North chapel with tieceron vault and Spanish Gothic altar of the Assumption (192l-2). South chapel, wooden vault, another canopied reveals. Externally, tower by Clutton: buff brick and stone with straight-headed transomed and traceried belfry windows, cornice with globules and pyramid spire of banded slate. Remainder by Pilkington, in rock-faced Portland stone, except for Clutton's aisle gables (Perpendicular tracery). Windowless gable to chancel with canopied niches, on high basement (Catholic Institute).

The Presbytery and Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred heart form a group.

Listing NGR: SZ0865791278

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 08657 91278

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 06:13:19.