List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1105434

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DevonWest DevonDistrict AuthorityDartmoor Forest

National Park: DARTMOOR

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 92795

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for: LYDFORD PRINCETOWN SX 57 SE 14/63 Church of St Michael 21.3.67

the entry shall be amended to read:

SX 57 SE LYDFORD PRINCETOWN 14/63 Church of St Michael 21.3.67 GV II*

Church. c1810-14, by Daniel Alexander; chancel improved 1868 to designs ofR.M. Fulford; nave arcades inserted, chancel extended and eastern bays of aisles added to designs of E.H. Sedding, 1898-1901; tower restored 1915 by Richardson and Gill. Granite rubble walls with dressed granite quotas; gabled slate roof PLAN: west tower, broad nave of five bays with passage aisles created by insertion of arcades by Sedding and chancel all under same roof; small NW porch and SE vestry. EXTERIOR: Each side to north and south has granite 2-light windows with Y-tracery, Sedding having repeated the original design in the added bays. Chancel with angled buttresses and 6-light east window with cinquefoiled heads arranged in 3 pairs between mullions which run straight up through flowing tracery to meet curve of arch, a typical Sedding motif West tower of 3 stages, divided by plat bands and with Y-tracery windows, parapet on plain corbel table with corner pinnacles and battlements; towards upper stage is quatrefoil set within a lozenge, probably for a clock. INTERIOR: plain arcades inserted by Sedding, with round arches set on square piers. Fine mid C18 hexagonal pulpit, with figures of the Evangelists and enriched carving, from Church of St Sidwell, Exeter (qv). Stained glass in east window by Mayer of Munich, in memory of the American prisoners-of-war who helped to build this church, especially the 218 who died here. Various C19 memorial tablets, including one to Sir Thomas Tyrwhitt, d.1833, by Barry of Plymouth. With the exception ofthe works to the east end, the exterior ofAlexander's church has survived intact. As such, it is of great historical importance as a memorial to the French and American prisoners who built it and as the architecturally most distinguished surviving building on the world-famous Dartmoor prison site.

------------------------------------

LYDFORD PRINCETOWN SX 57 SE 14/63 Church of St Michael 21.3.67 GV II

Church. Built 1813, architect unknown but reputedly prisoners-of-war from the nearby prison (q.v.) provided the labour. Rebuilt in 1869 by Robert Fulford, enlarged in 1899 by E Sedding and further in 1916 by Richardson and Gill of London. Granite rubble walls with dressed granite quoins. Gable ended slate roof. Plan: Nave, very narrow north and south aisles, chancel, west tower, north porch and south vestry. The rebuild of 1869 included the addition of a sanctuary and the tower was added in 1916. Each side has 4 granite 2-light windows with Y-tracery. Vestry projects on south side. Leanto to north porch. 3-stage tower. The chancel is narrower and has granite buttresses on its east wall with a 6-light Perpendicular style window. Interior: plain 3-bay arcades of square piers with round arches. No chancel arch. Continuous wagon roof. Source: Devon C19 Churchs Project

Listing NGR: SX5868173714

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 58681 73714

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 12:28:50.