List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1104871

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityWelham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190896

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 79 SE WELHAM MAIN STREET (South East Side)

7/120 Church of St. Andrew

7.12.66

GV II*

Parish Church. Largely Perpendicular, but restored in 1870 by Joseph Goddard of Leicester. West tower, nave, north transept and chancel. Coursed ironstone rubble with limestone dressings and ashlar tower. Welsh slate roofs. C15 tower has plinth and angle buttresses and is of four stages. West doorway with chamfered arch and hood mould. Paired traceried lights above it, and paired foiled two tiered lights to bell chamber. Embattled parapet. Nave has one Victorian 2-light Decorated window to south west, possibly in former doorway, the others to both north and south are Perpendicular, of 2 and 3 flat headed foiled lights, one on each side is at a higher level. Steeply pitched Welsh slate roof. East end of nave and chancel given emphasis by ornate buttresses with gablets and corbel heads, the chancel is further distinguished by a corbel table of undecorated blocks, and plinth and string course, and cresting to its steeply pitched roof. It is entirely of 1870. 2-light north and south windows and 3-light east window all in Decorated style. North transept of 1810, given a large gothic window of 4-lights in 1870. Rendered, with low pitched parapet roof, and buttresses.

Interior has west tower arch with cylindrical shafts, outer chamfer and hood mould. South west window contained in a recess. Simple timber roof. Victorian chancel arch with clustered and banded shafts with foliate capitals, dividing wall between nave and chancel of banded coursed rubble. Ornate roof to chancel with principal rafters supported from heavily wrought corbels. Encaustic floor tiles. North transept is mausoleum housing a memorial to Francis Edwards, d.1728 and other members of the Edwards family. It is a large marble tomb raised on four steps, a pedestal base with corners chamfered with ornate volutes, carrying an obelisk adorned with shields of arms and surmounted by an urn. Other similar and related urns stand on pedestals in the corners of the room. The monument was formally in the Churchyard. Jacobean pulpit with long blank traceried panels. Font may be C14, simple octagonal basin rising from octagonal shaft, with 8 sided tapering wood cover. Arms of George III in the tower. Stained glass in chancel windows, 1856 and 1866.

Listing NGR: SP7654192444

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 76541 92444

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 05:20:21.