List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORMANBY HALL

List entry Number: 1103752

Location

NORMANBY HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityBurton upon Stather

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165776

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 81 NE BURTON UPON STATHER NORMANBY PARK

1/22 Normanby Hall - (Previously listed as 19.10.51 Normanby Park) GV I

Country house, 1825-30 by Sir Robert Smirke for Sir Robert Sheffield, with minor internal remodelling and addition of large east wing and north service range in 1906 by Walter Brierley for Sir Berkeley Sheffield. Ancaster limestone ashlar, slate roof. Smirke's building forms entrance front. Classical style. Approximately square on plan with projecting bays and corner wings. Central section of 2 storeys with attic flanked by 2 storey projecting wings. 1:3:1 bays. Plinth, first floor band and cornice link bays. Flight of stone steps to projecting porch with pairs of Ionic columns and pit,asters supporting a plain entablature and dentilled cornice. Tall double panelled doors in architrave beneath a pulvinated frieze. Sashes in tapered eared architraves to either side. Wings have recessed tripartite windows divided by pilasters supporting a cornice, with a recessed panel above bearing floral decoration. Flat first floor band. First floor windows similar to those below. All ground and first floor windows are sashes with narrow glazing bars. Moulded cornice. 3 central 2-pane attic sashes in architraves under a further moulded cornice. Wings have parapet with central balustrade. flipped roof and stacks with moulded cornices to central section. Right return forms south garden front: central section 2 storeys with attic, 4 bays 1:2:1 with first and fourth bays projecting; 2 storey outer bays. Central tripartite openings with blind centre panel flanked by sashes and divided by pilasters supporting a moulded cornice with a recessed decorated panel above. Projecting bays have sashes in architraves with hoods supported on carved consoles. Wings have sashes in eared architraves. First floor central tripartite window has double pilasters flanking blind centre panel. Bays to either side have sashes in eared architraves. Cornice, balustrade and attic sashes similar to entrance front. The rear is similar to the front but with a central ground floor window beneath a hood supported on carved consoles. 1906 wing to the right in Classical Baroque style. L-shaped with a 5-bay south garden front and an entrance in the angle beside the C19 block. Entrance bay has double panelled doors in a Gibbs surround beneath a projecting hood and a large round-headed fanlight surmounted by a raised keystone with carved swags. Symmetrical garden front to right has plinth, rusticated quoins. Steps up to central window in eared architrave with keystone flanked by Ionic pilasters supporting an open pediment containing date and decorative carving. Sashes to either side have cills on brackets, architraves, raised keystones and hoods on carved consoles. First floor sashes linked by cill band have eared architraves and raised keystones. Ornate cast-iron down-pipes with brackets and rain-water heads bearing Sheffield monogram, arms and date. Heavy dentilled cornice and 5 attic sashes similar to those of the first floor. flipped roof, stacks with raised bands and cornices. Interior of 1820s is largely intact and includes stair-hall with a single flight and double return staircase with cast-iron fluted column balusters, sweeping mahogany handrail and panelled dado; twin east and west drawing rooms with pilasters, moulded cornices and ceilings; panelled dining room with moulded cornice and ceiling; panelled study with moulded cornice and library with moulded dado rail (part 1960s restoration) and cornice. The 4 latter rooms have fine C18 marble chimney-pieces, the one in the library inserted in 1960s, others in 1960. First floor upper hall has pair of fluted Doric columns at stair-head. Other original fittings include doors, architraves, cornices and window shutters. In 1906 Brierley opened the original entrance hall into both inner- and stair- halls and inserted enriched fluted Ionic colonnades. The 1906 wing retains its fine Classical-Baroque style interiors and inserted C18 chimney-pieces. The 1820s building is notable for the early constructional use of cast-iron beams. M H Kirkby, Normanby Hall, Scunthorpe, 196? L. W., 'Normanby Park', Country Life, 20 July 1911, pp 170-6; J Cornforth, 'Normanby Park, Lincolnshire' , Country Life, 17 August 1961, pp 346-9.

Listing NGR: SE8873016534

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Kirkby, M H , Normanby Hall Scunthorpe
'Country Life' in 17 August, (1961), 346-349
'Country Life' in 20 July, (1911), 170-176

National Grid Reference: SE 88730 16534

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 03:44:10.