List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1103747

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH GATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityBurton upon Stather

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165759

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 8617-8717 BURTON UPON STATHER CHURCH GATE (west side)

5/4 Church of St Andrew - 6.11.67 GV I

Church. C12-C14; early C19 stair turret by W Fowler of Winterton, south aisle, south porch, clerestory and chancel restored 1865-6 by Edward Browning of Stamford, organ chamber 1889 by C Hodgson Fowler of Durham, vestry dated 1938, later C20 boiler-room alterations to north porch. Coursed ironstone rubble and hammer-dressed blocks, with gritstone blocks, limestone ashlar dressings, slate and lead roofs. West tower with stair turret on north and vestry on south side, aisled nave with north and south porches, 3-bay chancel with organ-chamber on north side. C13 square 3-stage tower with massive Roman gritstone blocks re-used for lower quoins. West lancet to first stage, string courses and single-light shafted belfry openings under later battlemented parapet. 3-stage stair turret has chamfered angles, re- used moulded string courses and medieval carved head stops, and narrow lancets under a hipped slate roof. Nave south aisle has string course, 2 buttresses and 2 pointed 3-light windows with hood-moulds and C19 tracery, a C13 west lancet and a C14 pointed 3-light window with Curvilinear tracery. Parapet. North aisle has 3 segmental-headed 3-light windows with Cl9 tracery. C19 rebuilt lancets to clerestory. North porch has C13 side lancets with foliate stops and moulded ogee- headed inner doorway. South porch covers late C12 inner door with 3 orders of shafts with foliate capitals and richly moulded arch. C14 chancel has chamfered plinth, string course, stepped diagonal buttresses with crocketed finials, pointed 2-light side windows with hood-moulds, all but one with C19 tracery, a 3-light pointed east window re-set with C19' tracery and a blocked cusped lancet above. Organ chamber has a re- set C14 3-light east window with Curvilinear tracery. Stone coped gables to nave and chancel. Interior: 4-bay north arcade has 3 C12 cylindrical piers and richly-moulded octagonal capitals and pointed arches with scallops, pellets, rolls, keel and chevron mouldings, probably re-set in C13. Fourth bay has C13 keeled quatrefoil pier with double-chamfered arch and C14 octagonal respond. C14 south arcade of octagonal piers with plain moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches, C14 double-chamfered tower arch on octagonal responds. North aisle has a blocked pointed 2-light Perpendicular west window, and a blocked 2- light pointed window with Curvilinear tracery. Chancel has a C14 sedilia with crocketed and cusped ogival heads supported by C19 mullions. Glass: west window of south aisle has C18 painted figure of Christ by Pearson of York. Monuments in chancel: mutilated C13 crusader effigy re-set in a niche with C14 ballflower decoration. 1776 marble statue of mourning woman to Sir Charles Sheffield and Margaretta his wife by Fisher of York, 1816 recessed wall monument to Sir John Sheffield and Rev Robert Sheffield by J Bacon junior of London. J Amcotts Jarvis, The Parish of Burton on Stather with Flixborough, 1922; N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, pp 208-9.

Listing NGR: SE8701517875

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Jarvis, J, The Parish of Burton on Stather with Flixborough, (1922)
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 208-209

National Grid Reference: SE 87016 17875

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 03:20:09.