List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT MAURICE

List entry Number: 1103736

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT MAURICE, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityHorkstow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165842

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 91 NE HORKSTOW MAIN STREET (east side)

7/42 Church of Saint Maurice

6.11.67 GV I

Parish church. C13 tower, nave arcades, north aisle and chancel. C14-C15 south aisle and clerestory. C17 repairs to nave and north aisle roofs; C18 - early C19 repairs to chancel. Re-seated'and interior restored 1868. Restorations of 1898 by R H Fowler included re-facing aisles. Chalk rubble, limestone ashlar and brick chancel; chalk rubble and limestone ashlar tower and north aisle; ashlar south aisle. Pantile roof to tower; slates to south aisle, chancel, porch and vestry; lead and C20 stainless steel roofs to north aisle and nave. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with north and south porches (latter now vestry), 3-bay chancel. 2-stage tower: 1st stage has buttresses with re-set moulded caps, keyhole slit to west, C19 window to south; plain string course, 2nd stage shows line of former steeply-pitched gable on east face, twin lancet belfry openings beneath pointed hoodmould with carved stops. Stepped and cogged brick eaves cornice, pyramidal roof. Nave: two 2-light cinquefoiled clerestory windows. South aisle: two C19 pointed 2-light windows with Geometric tracery, 3-light east window with C19 head, C14-C15 square-headed 2-light west window with crude Perpendicular tracery. Adjoining vestry has twin C19 lancets. North aisle: plinth to east of porch; two 2-light pointed windows with C19 heads and Geometric tracery; late C13 pointed 2-light west and east windows with Geometric tracery, latter with hoodmould and carved headstops. Chancel: rendered plinth, ashlar quoins, much brick patching in walls; single blocked lancets and C19-C20 square-headed 3-light trefoiled windows in chamfered brick reveals to north and south, two restored east lancets. North porch: rock- faced rustication with smooth-faced ashlar quoins; shafted outer door with pointed double-chamfered arch and hoodmould; foiled opening to west side. Interior. Pointed chamfered tower doorway. North and south arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches with hoodmoulds and fine carved headstops; C13 cylindrical piers to north and early C14'octagonal piers to south, both with plain moulded capitals and bases, semicircular responds to east, keeled responds to west (obscured by plaster on south). Pointed double-chamfered south door in vestry has remains of crude outer shafts. Pointed double- chamfered chancel arch on moulded corbels, semicircular to south, octagonal to north. Chancel floor raised 6 steps, with two further sections towards east, each raised 2 steps and with pointed double-chamfered transverse arches above on C19 responds and capitals, those to central arch perhaps re- cut. Encaustic tile chancel floor, C19 roof. Nave roof of plain, heavy oak dated 1609 probably represents lowering of C15 crown-post roof: central jowelled posts have broad down-braces to tie-beams and up-braces to ridge purlin, short struts braced to tie beam and tenoned into principals carry purlins, and tie-beams are braced to later wall-posts on ashlar corbels. North aisle roof has butt-purlins with curved wind-braces; the principals, tenoned through nave wall, terminate in pegged brackets, one dated 1659. C18-C19 staggered butt-purlin roof to south aisle. Monuments: pair of marble wall tablets at east end of nave to Rear Admiral Thomas Shirley of 1814, and Colonel John Tufnell of 1838, with carved ornament on grey obelisk-shaped bases; finely-inscribed oval marble wall tablet to Catherine Ayers of 1759 in north aisle. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 275-6; Associated Architectural Societies' Reports and Papers, 1895, vol 23, pt 1, p xii; ibid, 1905, vol 28, pt 1, p vii-viii; Drawing by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: SE9871618221

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 275-276
'Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers' in Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers, , Vol. 23, (1895), 12

National Grid Reference: SE 98721 18225

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 02:09:49.