List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT PETER

List entry Number: 1103729

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT PETER, TOWNSIDE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityEast Halton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165824

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 11 NW EAST HALTON TOWNSIDE (west side)

10/25 Church of Saint Peter

6.11.67 - I

Parish church. C13 chancel, C14 remainder, with some re-used C12 moulded stone. Restorations of 1868 by J Fowler of Louth included raising chancel and north aisle, new south porch, and roofs to nave and chancel. Ironstone and limestone ashlar tower; ironstone, limestone, chalk and flint rubble and brick with ashlar dressings to aisles and chancel; ashlar porch with some re-used medieval masonry. Slate roofs: Westmorland slate to south aisle. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and 3-bay chancel. 2-stage tower: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with set-offs. 1st stage has C19 restored pointed 3-light west window with trefoiled lights below blank panel. Stepped-in second stage has small west needle lancet and double ogee-headed lancet belfry openings. Moulded cornice, coped parapet. Aisles: chamfered plinth, buttresses, cill bands; C19 restored square-headed 3-light traceried north and south windows and pointed 2-light traceried west windows with hoodmoulds. North aisle has blocked pointed moulded door with hoodmould, south aisle has pointed 3-light east window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould. Two square-headed 2-light clerestory windows with moulded mullions. Chancel: cill band at level of east windows, cut by arches and windows to north and south. North side has blocked pointed arch with inserted C19 pointed single light window, and blocked segmental-headed doorway. South side has square-headed chamfered door, 2-light plate- traceried window with trefoiled lancets and pierced quatrefoil over, restored pointed 3-light window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould, and restored pointed 2-light window with Y-tracery. Triple round-headed east windows; C19 oculus to gable. Porch has plinth, pointed moulded outer arch, C14 pointed moulded inner arch with hoodmould. Interior. Nave arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches with chamfered hoodmoulds on octagonal piers and east responds with plain moulded capitals and bases on octagonal plinths; corbelled east responds with carved fleurons. Narrow restored pointed chamfered tower arch with chamfered imposts. Blocked narrow square- headed former rood-loft door to nave north side. C19 pointed double- chamfered chancel arch on octagonal responds. Chancel has pointed chamfered arch to blocked north door, pointed double-chamfered blocked arch with octagonal responds and plain moulded capitals, perhaps to former chantry chapel or Easter sepulchre; deeply-splayed east lancets with cill band. Nave has re-used C15-C16 bench ends with straight-headed castellated tops and panels with 2-light trefoiled arches and foliate decoration in the spandrels. Mutilated bowl of former medieval font in chancel. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 228; Drawing by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; Stamford Mercury, 13 Nov 1868, p5.

Listing NGR: TA1414218451

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 228
'Stamford Mercury' in 13 November, (1868), 5

National Grid Reference: TA 14146 18452

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 06:14:32.