List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THORNTON HALL, PAVILION WINGS AND FLANKING SCREEN WALLS

List entry Number: 1103712

Location

THORNTON HALL, PAVILION WINGS AND FLANKING SCREEN WALLS, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityThornton Curtis

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165887

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 01 NE THORNTON CURTIS STATION ROAD (north side)

9/86 Thornton Hall, pavilion wings and flanking screen walls 19.10.51

GV II *

Small country house. 1695-1700 for Sir Rowland Wynne; internal alterations, attic, pavilions and screen walls built in 1769, perhaps by John Billington. Attic raised in C19; C20 alterations to left wing. Rubbed red brick in Flemish bond with limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roof to main block, pantiles to wings. Plan: 2-room front, double-depth, with entrance hall to right and stairhall to rear. 3 storeys, 7 bays; symmetrical, the narrow single side bays set back and carrying chimneys. 2 low storey 3-bay pavilions with flanking curved wing walls. Main block has moulded ashlar plinth, quoins to central section, and side bays. Flight of 5 stone steps to central 2-fold 6-fielded-panel door and 8-pane overlight in eared architrave with pulvinated frieze, panelled pilasters and carved consoles supporting broken segmental pediment. 18-pane ground floor sashes in similar eared architraves with moulded cills, pulvinated friezes and segmental pediments. Similar sashes in eared architraves to first floor. Ground and first floor sashes have heavy glazing bars. Bold wooden acanthus modillion cornice. Attic storey, in two builds, has recessed 12-pane sashes with cills and flat brick arches; stone-coped parapet. Side bays have narrow 12-pane sashes to ground and first floor in ashlar architraves with cills; 1769 downpipes in angles have ornate rainwater heads with Wynne arms or monogram. Hipped roof. Axial stack with quoins, pairs of massive lateral stacks of 2 stages with quoins, moulded ashlar cornices. Pavilions in matching style and materials, set forward slightly from side bays: quoins, ashlar cill band, 12-pane ground floor sashes in reveals with flat rubbed brick arches; 3-course brick first floor band, top course moulded, 6- pane first floor sashes in similar openings, and painted stepped and dentilled brick eaves cornice. Hipped roofs; pair of large axial stacks with brick bands and stepped cornices. Screen walls set back to either side incorporate later extensions to house, with curved sections containing round-headed arcades with 2-course brick impost bands, stepped cornices and stone coping. 3 bays to right with ramped wall to right end and later openings for outbuildings. Wall to left has round arch with C20 French windows and 2 similar windows in 5-bay curved arcade to left, continued as coped garden wall. Rear of main house block has chamfered plinth with pairs of 2-light chamfered ashlar mullion cellar windows flanking central 2-fold half glazed door with C20 hood, sashes in flush wood architraves under flat rubbed brick arches, wooden modillion cornice; leaded casement to right side bay; casements with glazing bar to pavilions. Ornate dentilled rainwater head to left side bay inscribed 'Chapman Fecit 1769'. Interior. Entrance hall has fielded-panel dado and moulded rail, stone bolection-moulded chimneypiece, bolection overmantel with fluted pilasters and moulded cornice; round-headed doorway to stairhall with panelled pilasters, keyed archivolt and cornice. Stairhall has very fine open well cantilevered oak staircase with ramped handrail, wide treads each with pairs of column-on- vase balusters with rounded knops; panelled dado with pilasters supporting rail. The 3 main ground floor rooms each have very fine bolection panelling, moulded skirting, dado rail, cornice, bolection chimneypiece with panelled overmantel, large 6-fielded panel doors and fielded-panel window reveals and shutters in architraves: front left has stone chimneypiece with carved frieze and mantlepiece, rear right has round-headed cupboard with panelled pilasters, keyed archivolt and fielded-panel doors. First floor hall has round-headed door with pilasters, keyed archivolt with pulvinated frieze and cornice. First floor rooms each have partial bolection and fielded panelling, moulded dado rail, cornice, bolection chimneypieces and panelled overmantel: chimneypiece to front left has carved frieze. Closets off first floor rooms in side bays. Good staircase to first and second floors, probably original main staircase of 1690's, with pulvino cornice string, moulded handrail and drop-on-bulb balusters with circular knops. Late C18 - early C19 stone staircase to right pavilion with ramped handrail and plain balusters. 3-bay elliptical brick barrel-vaulted cellar. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildin s of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 404-5; Drawing by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; Plans by JB 1760, Nostell Papers, C3441-2; NMR.

Listing NGR: TA0943918080

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Harris, J and Antram, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1989 - Page References: 404-405

National Grid Reference: TA 09439 18080

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Aug-2014 at 07:58:19.