List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT DENYS

List entry Number: 1103701

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT DENYS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityNorth Killingholme

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165854

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUMBERSIDE GLANFORD 5264

TA 11 NW NORTH KILLINGHOLME CHURCH LANE (north side)

10/54 Church of Saint Denys 6.11.67 GV I

Parish church. C12 tower arch, C13 chancel with later C13 - C14 windows, C14 nave arcades, aisles and lower stages to tower with C15 upper stage, C16-C17 clerestory and windows to south aisle. Restorations of C18, 1847, 1868, 1889,1910, and 1926 included roofing nave and chancel, re-flooring, raising chancel, new chancel arch. Ironstone and limestone ashlar tower, partly rendered. Squared ironstone and limestone, rubble and brick to aisles with ashlar dressings: rendered upper section to south aisle, brick buttresses to north aisle. Pebbledashed nave clerestory.Chalk, flint and limestone rubble to chancel with ironstone and limestone ashlar dressings and rock-faced ashlar upper section. Brick, rubble and ashlar porch. Slate roofs. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and 3-bay chancel. 3-stage tower: moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses with set-offs, moulded string courses. 1st stage has pointed 2-light traceried west window, stair lighting slit to south. 2nd stage has slit window to south, clockfaces to south and west. Stepped-in 3rd stage has pointed 2-light traceried belfry openings with hoodmoulds and headstops. Moulded cornice, coped parapet with gargoyles and crocketed angle pinnacles. South aisle: quoins (one to west with incised sundial), chamfered plinth, buttress to east; square-leaded 2- light trefoiled window, two square-headed 2-light windows with plain chamfered mullions, segmental arched 3-light trefoiled east window. North aisle: chamfered plinth, quoins, cill band, C19-C20 brick buttresses. Pointed hollow-chamfered door with hoodmould, 2 square-headed 3-light and single 2-light trefoiled windows with C19 restored tracery, pointed 4-light east window with reticulated tracery, hoodmould and headstops, pointed 3- light west window with intersecting tracery. Carved head corbels and shields to angles. Nave: segmental-pointed 3-light clerestory windows with chamfered mullions in hollow-chamfered reveals. Chancel: moulded plinth, quoins and cill band to east end. South side has round arched chamfered door with hoodmould, pointed 3-light window with intersecting tracery, hoodmould and headstops, and pointed 2-light window with geometric tracery and hoodmould, both largely restored; 2 narrow east lancets. South porch: quoins, brick to upper section, that to sides probably C15-C16; C18 round- headed brick outer arch beneath restored pedimented gable, stone benches inside, pointed moulded inner arch with restored oak door. Interior. Wide Romanesque tower arch, 3 orders of shafts with scalloped capitals, square abaci and roll mouldings. Line of earlier nave gable visible above. Nave arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers and responds with plain moulded capitals and bases; traces of red paint to piers. Segmental-pointed stoup with mutilated bowl beside north aisle door. Nave has chamfered square-headed former rood-loft doorway. C19 pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with squint to north side. Through-purlin aisle roofs probably C18 or earlier. C13 font with cylindrical bowl on clustered ringed shafts and round base. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 326; Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers, 1907, vol 29, pt 1, 75-6; Drawing by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: TA1447617353

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 326
'Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers' in Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers, , Vol. 29, (1907), 75-76

National Grid Reference: TA 14481 17357

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 01:55:06.