List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1103642

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireHertsmereDistrict AuthorityAldenham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164050

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 19 NW ALDENHAM ALDENHAM (South side)

6/3 Church of 1.9.53 St. John the Baptist

GV I

Parish Church. C12 origins, early C13 W tower, C13 chancel and S chapel lengthened c.1300, c.1340 nave and S aisle rebuilt, mid C15 N aisle, late C15 alterations and early C16 chancel widened to N and N vestry added. 1847 chancel restored by Talbot Bury. 1882 whole church restored by A.Blomfield. 1905 altered by C.J.Blomfield. Knapped flint with ashlar Totternhoe dressings. Puddingstone in tower. Old red tiles to chancel roof, machine tiles elsewhere. Roughly rectangular plan, nave and chancel not aligned, 4 bays each with aisles and chapels. S aisle retains restored C12 W window below a C14 quatrefoil. S entrance in C19 timber and brick gabled porch. To S three 2 light windows of c.1340. Clerestorey four 2-light square headed C15 windows. Shallow pitch to nave roof. Larger N aisle: 3-light C16 W window, restored entrance to N and three 2-light C15 windows. Corner diagonal and straight buttresses. Lead plaque dated 1717 commemorating church wardens in entrance bay. Continuing from N aisle is C15 N chapel of 2 bays, blocked doorway and 2 and 3-light windows. Chancel: late C19 E window with coped gable end parapet. To S a lancet, to N a ½ blocked lancet with Y-tracery. Steeply pitched roof with ridge slightly above that of nave. S chapel: to S 2 C13 lancets and c.1300 2-light window in eastwards extension , c.1300 3 light window to E restored. Straight buttresses. At SW angle adjoining S aisle is semi-octagonal turret for rood stair built 1905. Vestry added to NE: square-headed 2-light window and blocked doorway to E. 1970 link to church hall further N. W tower: 3 tall stages with slightly taller semi-octagonal turret to NE. Diagonal buttresses to W. Battlemented parapets and shingled needle spire, restored 1951. C19 entrance and C15 3-light window to W. C13 lancets to N and S in lower stage. Upper stages are C15 rebuilding: single lights in 2nd stage and paired openings in belfry all with square heads. C19 clock to W in 2nd stage. Small blocked opening to E of belfry. Interior: C14 chancel arch, hollow moulded orders, octagonal responds. C15 tower arch similar with circular shafts to responds. S arcade c.1340: octagonal piers to 2 chamfered orders in pointed arches. Foliate paterae on capitals. N arcade c.1440 similar but with taller columns and flatter arches, different ornamental detail. C14 doors to rood stair. C13 arcade to S chapel:octagonal piers to chamfered orders in pointed arches, moulded capitals. Originally 2 bays lengthened to E by 1 bay c.1300. Small door from chancel to E end of S chapel. c.1300 pointed arch from S aisle to chapel. Above blocked C13 piscina in chancel S wall is a deeply splayed lancet window opening into lengthened S chapel. Restored sedilia and piscina to E end of chancel S wall. S chapel: c.1300 piscina to E end of S wall. Beam ends visible in S wall, one with mouldings. C15 double arcade to N chapel from chancel, flatter arches than to S, that to W abuts onto E wall of N aisle above a low C15 arch linking N aisle and chapel. Square head to 4-centred arched door from N chapel to vestry. N and S aisles and chapels have simple C15 roofs with moulded tie beams and purlins, arched braces in smaller S aisle. Nave roof probably slightly later: moulded and painted beams, traceried spandrels to arched braces from stone angel corbels to tie beams with carved ornament. C19 ceiled chancel roof, carved and painted bosses and ornament. C13/C14 font in W tower: Purbeck marble, moulded square base and bowl, circular stem and 4 corner shafts. Large oak chest in W tower, possibly C14, with iron bands and hinges. Screen from S aisle and chapel retains some C15 timber and painted decoration, restored by A.Blomfield. Rood screen in chancel arch by C.J.Blomfield. Pulpit, choir stalls, and screens to chapel by A.Blomfield. Bishop's chair in chancel by W.Lethaby 1892. C17 communion table with turned and fluted legs in S chapel. Original oak shutters with strap hinges to E and N in vestry. Monuments: in S chapel on S wall: 2 chest tombs as 1 composition to wife and daughter-in-law of Sir W.Crowmer, c.1400. Front panels with arms in quatrefoils. 4 centred cusped heads to canopies. Richly carved relief ornament and arms in spandrels. Effigies in contemporary dress. Further E a wall monument to Katherine Cade, d.1615, painted praying figure in alabaster and marble aedicule, arms in broken pediment. S aisle: wall monument to Vice Admiral J.Chambers White, d.1845, elaborate Gothic aedicule. Further W, large vari-coloured marble wall monument to Robert and Sarah Hucks, d.1771, profile busts on a sarcophagus on an aedicular frame to a lengthy epitaph. N chapel on N wall: a large double effigy marble chest tomb. J.Coghill and wife, d.1714, figures informally disposed in contemporary dress, arms on E side, inscription to front. Brasses: several small C16 figures in chancel and S chapel, larger figures at W end of N aisle, various floor slabs. Glass: Several windows by Kempe 1891-1900. Other windows including chancel N window with mosaics and mosaic chancel floor by Heaton, Butler and Bayne 1890. (RCHM 1910: VCH 1923: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ1398898463

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1923)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TQ 13988 98463

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 05:46:24.