List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1103539

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CROSS OAKS LANE
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, DEEVES HALL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireHertsmereDistrict AuthorityRidge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164299

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 20 SW RIDGE CROSS OAKS LANE (North side) Ridge

4/245 Church of 25.2.52 St. Margaret

GV 11*

Parish church. Early C15, chancel walls possibly C14. Repaired 1740-6. Restored with addition of S porch and organ bay 1881 by A.Billings. Knapped flint with clunch dressings, some pudding-stone in tower. Tiled roofs. 4 bay nave, slightly lower and narrower chancel. Small W tower. Continuous plinth. C19 E window: pointed head, 3 lights with geometrical tracery. Chancel S wall: 2 trefoil headed lancets flank doorway with pointed head. N wall, one similar lancet and lean-to organ bay. Nave N wall: 2 square headed windows, each has 2 multifoil headed lights with 4 panels above, that to E probably C15, to W a C19 copy. Similar C15 window to E in nave S wall and a similar C19 single light to W of S porch. Straight buttresses to nave. Gabled S porch of timber on flint and stone base. Arched entrance with quatrefoils in spandrels. Brattishing below timber and flint gable, decorative bargeboards. 3 traceried panels to each side. Round headed arch to S entrance, hollow chamfered moulded surround. Plank door with strap hinges. Diagonal buttresses at W end of nave join taller straight buttresses to 3 stage tower. W doorway with pointed head and hollow chamfered jambs below 3 light C19 W window, pointed head and geometrical tracery. Diagonal buttresses to W. One square opening to S in 2nd stage of tower. String courses above and below belfry stage with an additional stone course below the belfry openings. 4 chamfered mullioned openings to belfry. Restored battlemented parapet. Lean-to extension to N of tower. Interior: C15 pointed tower arch. 3 chamfered orders with crudely moulded capitals. Belfry opening in N spandrel. C19 pointed chancel arch with colonnette responds. C15 crown post roof in nave. Chamfered beams. Braces from crown posts to collar purlin. Braced collar beams. Ashlaring. Small curved brackets from walls to straight tie beams. Chancel roof: ceiled to E, to W C15/C16 double collar beam roof exposed, braces to lower collars. Timber lintels to nave windows. Wall painting on nave N wall: mid C15 St. Christopher on brocade patterned ground. Restored by E.W.Tristram 1937. C14 piscina in chancel S wall: filleted roll moulding to pointed head, foiled basin. Above piscina an alabaster monument to Lady Busby, d.1661, a bayleaf band around an inscribed slab, empty cartouche at head, skull at base, fruit and ribbon ornament. Early C18 floor slabs and an indent for a brass in chancel and nave floors. Early C19 slabs on chancel N wall. Tapestry Royal Arms of George III mounted on N wall of nave with plank dated 1814. Fragments of c.1390 glass in upper panels of E window in nave N wall. (RCHM 1910: VCH 1923: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL2136600462

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1923)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 21366 00462

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 03:43:51.