List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1103466

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, STALLINGBOROUGH ROAD, HEALING

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North East LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityHealing

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164425

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 21 SW 5/4

HEALING, STALLINGBOROUGH ROAD (south side, off), Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul

4.1.67

GV II

Parish church. Early C13 tower arch, C16-C17 tower, late medieval chancel on earlier foundations; C18 nave: north aisle removed probably in early C18, south aisle removed 1774. Restorations to chancel and tower of 1848-50 included new west door, replacement of tracery in west window. Restorations of 1874-6 by J Fowler of Louth included rebuilding nave north and east walls, inserting new chancel east window, reflooring, reseating, reroofing. Interior renovations to chancel in 1947. Large unsympathetic church hall of 1976 adjoining south side, incorporating 1925 vestry on south side of tower, is of no special interest. Limestone ashlar tower; limestone and ironstone ashlar to nave and chancel. Welsh slate roofs. West tower with west door, 2-bay nave, single-bay chancel. 3-stage tower: moulded plinth, angle buttresses with offsets, stages divided by moulded string courses. C19 pointed west door of 5 roll-moulded and filleted orders beneath crocketed ogee hood flanked by pinnacled buttress shafts. Door with Perpendicular- style blind-traceried panels. Pointed 3-light west window to first stage with restored tracery and original hoodmould. Second stage: square openings with pierced quatrefoils and incised spandrels in hollow-chamfered reveals. Line of former nave gable to east side. Pointed 2-light traceried belfry openings with hoodmoulds. Angle gargoyles, restored moulded string course, coped embattled parapet and crocketed angle pinnacles. Nave: chamfered plinth, buttresses to centre and east end, pointed 2-light traceried windows, one to south converted to door in 1976. Chancel: ashlar wall tablet in north wall to Elizabeth Lamb of 1685, with recessed inscribed panel flanked by scrolls; C19 pointed 3-light east window with geometric tracery and hoodmould; medieval carved tread to gale. Interior. Pointed double-chamfered tower arch on triple-snafted responds with keeled central shafts flanked by smaller plain shafts, plain moulded bases and capitals and octagonal abaci. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with continuous outer chamfer and inner order on plain moulded corbels. Black marble floorslab in tower to Sir Francis Coventry of 1687 with Latin marginal inscription. Wall tablets in chancel: to Rev John Parkinson of 1793; to Rev John Parkinson of 1837 with Latin inscription; to Robert Parkinson of 1822 with carved brackets, cornice and pediment; to Elizabeth Iles of 1834 with carved brackets, moulded cornice and draped urn. C19 fittings and font. Archaeological excavations in advance of building on the south side of the church in 1975 revealed foundations of 1C13 south aisle which partly embraced the chancel, and evidence of a pre-Conquest church. Similarities with the towers at Aylesby and Immingham (qv) suggest a date between 1550- 1650. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 272; H Bishop, "Excavations at the Church of SS Peter and Paul, Healing, South Humberside", Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, Vol 13, 1978, pp 25-32.

Listing NGR: TA2139110100

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Bishop, H - Title: Lincolnshire History and Archaeology - Date: 1978 - Volume: 13 - Page References: 25-32
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Harris, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1964 - Page References: 272 - Description: Reprinted 1978

National Grid Reference: TA 21391 10100

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 10:53:34.