List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1103410

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LOCKINGTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East Riding of YorkshireUnitary AuthorityLund

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164589

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LUND LOCKINGTON ROAD SE 94 NE (north side) 2/54 Church of All Saints 7.2.68 II* Church. C15 west tower, chancel 1845-6 by Chantrell, nave rebuilt 1853. Ashlar, flat tile roofs. 2-stage west tower, 5-bay nave with south porch and north aisle, 3-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower: moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses with offsets. Small trefoil-headed light to lower stage. 2-light pointed belfry opening with cinquefoil heads under hoodmould with face stops and an angel at the apex. Crenellated parapet. 3-light pointed west window with Perpendicular tracery under hoodmould with grotesque stops. Above, the figure of a praying priest. Nave: chamfered plinth, buttresses with offsets. Trefoil-headed lancets, chamfered corbel table, raised coped gable with Celtic cross finial. Projecting south porch has pointed door under hoodmould with foliated stops. Double-chamfered pointed south door to nave. Chancel: high chamfered plinth, buttresses with offsets. 3 pointed windows with cusped Y-tracery, pointed priests' door with continuous chamfer: on the chamfer, over the head of the door, is inscribed: 'A DAY IN THY COURTS IS BETTER THAN A THOUSAND'. 3-light pointed east window with curvilinear tracery under hoodmould. Coped gable with flory cross finial. Interior: pointed double-chamfered tower arch dying into responds, traces of red ochre paint to arch. Above are 3 equidistant praying angels, the central angel apparently supporting a rood. To left and right are flanking tower buttresses corbelled out over moulded bases embellished with foliage. North arcade of 5 bays: cylindrical piers on waterholding bases carry round abaci supporting pointed double-chamfered arches. C12 tub font with blank arcading trimmed back at the base. North wall of north aisle bears a wall tablet in memory of Thomas Delgarno, Vicar, died 1717, and to Mary and Elizabeth, his daughters. Plain marble tablet with good lettering in eared and shouldered architrave under a shallow open pediment. Beneath the tablet is a cherub on a small corbel. Chancel: C15 tomb recess to north wall, now used as a portal to the north vestry. Nearby lies a fragment of an alabaster chest tomb: an angel carries a shield beneath a crocketed ogee. In the north-east and south-east corners of the chancel are medieval effigies of 2 women: that in the north-east corner bears her heart in her hands.

Listing NGR: SE9701748145

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 97017 48145

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 07:04:07.