List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE RECTORY FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1103158

Location

THE RECTORY FARMHOUSE, SHILLINGTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityPirton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Oct-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 163181

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PIRTON SHILLINGTON ROAD TL 1431 (North side)

7/171 The Rectory Farmhouse 9.6.52

GV II*

Manor house of Rectory Manor, now a farmhouse. Early C17, altered and brick faced in parts in C18. Alterations 1870-73. Panelling installed in 1930s from Hammonds Farmhouse at Burge End. Clunch and red brick with roughcast timber-framed gables. Steep old red tile roofs. A symmetrical, E-plan, formerly moated house of 2 1/2-storeys, set back beyond forecourt, facing S, with 2-storeys gabled porch and gabled projecting wings. Single-storey hipped C18 brewhouse extends to W and gabled roughcast timber framed stair turret projects at rear. 4 windows to each floor. 3- and 4-lights transomed flush casement windows. Arched brick opening to porch and original heavy studded door in cyma moulded frame, and panelling (reset). Door has bolts and bars and cannot be opened from outside. Central large C17 brick chimney with 5 diagonal square shafts in L-formation to give effect of 9 shafts when seen from front. External sidewall chimneys on outer side of each wing with diagonal shafts. 3-light transomed window to rear staircase, and blocked large 3-lights ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed windows set on the tie-beams of the roughcast rear gables. Rear gable of W wing has a wide 4-lights pointed wooden Gothick traceried window with leaded glazing said to have come from the church in the Victorian period. Room in E wing lined with panelling from Hammonds Farm c.1931, and carved chimney-piece. Tunnel cut through central stack in 1870s. Former lobby entry with hall on E giving access to parlour in wing. Kitchen or houseplace on W side of stack gives access to divided longer W crosswing and brewhouse beyond. Study and staircase in projection to rear. Clasped-purlin roof to crosswings have collars supporting the single purlin in each slope. Main roof wider with 2 purlins to each slope, the upper clasped by a collar, the lower butt-jointed to the principals. Flat rafters jointed into lower purlin. Central chimney in English-bond.

Listing NGR: TL1414831935

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 14148 31935

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 03:39:08.