List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1102676

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, RADWELL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityRadwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162273

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 23 NW RADWELL RADWELL LANE (North side) 3/140 Church of 27.5.68 All Saints

- II*

Small Medieval Parish Church, thoroughly restored in C19. Mid C14 chancel arch; window openings and walling of nave and chancel probably similar date of origin. E window and tower arch early C16. Nave restored 1875. Chancel restored, re-roofing and addition of vestry and S porch 1882. Flint and clunch rubble; cement render removed in places. Stone dressings, tiled roof, some brick and split flint repairs. Unaisled short nave with only one window in N and S walls; both 2 trefoiled lights with pierced heads under square labels. Steeply pitched roof with coped gable parapets. W bay of nave surmounted by bellcote with small broached copper spire over timber bell-chamber. W window has 2 lights with tracery under a pointed head. Slightly narrower and lower chancel, long in proportion. Single light window on S wall. 3 light E window with trefoiled heads under 4 centred arch. Small diagonal split flint buttresses. Roof at same pitch as nave with coped gable parapet. Lean-to vestry in split flint on N wall of chancel. Simple windows to E and W, entrance to N. Brick base to timber S porch with open traceried panels, decorative bargeboard. S entrance has a moulded pointed arch with stiff leaf stops to label. Interior: C19 braced collar beam nave roof. Pointed arch separates W bay as if a tower had been planned, 2 moulded orders over semi-octagonal responds with capitals and bases. Late C14 four-centred label with one mask stop over S entrance. Chancel arch similar to tower arch but more finely moulded. C19 wagon roof to chancel with brattishing on cornice. 2 bay pointed arcade separates chancel and vestry. Monument on S wall of chancel to Mary Plomer d.1605; an effigy tomb with large seated frontal figure holding chrisom child, one foot on a skull and an hour-glass in hand, a smaller figure of Time to left, the whole framed by decorated piers. On plinth a panel depicting 10 children, obelisks and achievement above. A notable example of rustic Elizabethan carving. On same wall monument to Ann Plomer d.1625, an inscribed slab framed by an arch and pediment with achievement above. On N wall of chancel monument with small kneeling figures of John Parker d.1595, his wife and son in a surround similar to Mary Plomer tomb but more modest. At W end of S chancel wall a small leather plaque inscribed to William Pym d.1729. On S wall of nave monument to William Plomer d.1625, single figure kneeling at altar with flanking obelisks and ornamental crests over an arch. C18 and later memorials line nave walls. Brasses in chancel floor; to N Elizabeth Parker d.1602, to S William Wheteaker d.1487, with wife and son. In NE corner of nave John Bele d.1516, with 2 wives and children. Stone carved Royal Arms above E face of tower arch dated 1825. Font C14/C15, massive unornamented octagonal bowl with shields in recesses on shaft. C17 communion rails with square tapering balusters. Good late C19 glass in E window, given 1885, and nave windows. (VCH 1923. Pevsner 1977)

Listing NGR: TL2323535856

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1923
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977

National Grid Reference: TL 23235 35856

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2014 at 02:54:48.