List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GABLES

List entry Number: 1102596

Location

THE GABLES, 59 AND 61, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityBarkway

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162480

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARKWAY HIGH STREET TL 3835 (East side) Barkway

9/26 Nos. 59, and 27.5.68 61 (The Gables)

GV II*

Large house, now 2 dwellings. Circa 1620 with a later C17 stair wing Altered and extended c.1900. Timber frame, cement rendered. Some C19 red brick to rear. Steeply pitched tiled roofs with some slates. Broad 3 cell lobby entry plan. 2 storeys and attic. Original entrance between centre and tight bays in a c.1900 closed gabled porch with a 4 fielded panelled door, fanlight, architrave, brackets. Flanking original full height shallow canted bay windows, mullion and transom 1:5:1 lights, small pane casements. To left is a ground floor carriageway through, double doors with a C19 low segmental arched head, moulded surround. Left bay is now No. 59 with a bay window appearing as to right but actually an oriel originally, underbuilt c.1900 when new entrance inserted to far left, part glazed door, brackets to gabled hood. Above each bay are gables jettied out with brattished and moulded bressumers on carved scrolled brackets pierced with hearts. Behind original entrance is a cross axial ridge stack with 3 octagonal shafts. Truncated stack added at left end behind ridge on rebuilt slated shallower rear slope. Later C17 broad lean-to stair wing behind central 'hall' bay. To rear right an original 2 storey and attic wing with a slightly higher ridge was shortened c.1900, refaced in red brick with a plat band, end stack. 2 storey C19 lean-to to rear left with 3 light casements, stack to rear adjoining a weatherboarded and cement rendered former barn. Interior: ovolo moulded bearers throughout, bolection moulded panelling in 'hall' and room above. Mid to late C17 broad open well staircase, barleysugar on squat vase balusters, square newel posts, moulded broad handrail. Fielded panelled doors and an ovolo moulded door surround into stair wing. A 4 centred chamfered brick arched fireplace. Stop chamfered jowled posts. Formerly the Town House and an Inn. (RCHM 1910: VCH 1914: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3845035531

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire - Date: 1910
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1914

National Grid Reference: TL 38450 35531

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 04:51:01.