List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HILL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1102568

Location

HILL HOUSE, BAKERS LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityBarley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162520

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARLEY BAKERS LANE TL 33 NE (East side) Barley 3/66 Hill House

GV II*

Large house. 1907 by E. Wood and J.H. Sellers. Thin red bricks with Bath stone and marble dressings. Asphalted reinforced concrete roof. Axial rectangular block with service wing to form an L on plan. Edwardian Free Style. 2 storeys. Entrance elevation has central 3 window range slightly recessed with service wing extending forward to left. Plinth. Steps curved out to central entrance, bead mouldings on door with lower fielded panel, upper traceried glazing, circular leaded panes, flanking margin lights with panels below, reveal with marble jambs and soffit. Outer stone architrave with lintel slightly bowed out and dentilled with date 1907, flanking 3 light flush moulded frame leaded light casements. 3 closely spaced similar windows on first floor. Pierced stone blocked and coped parapet slightly stepped down to centre. Projecting section to right has a plain wall with a 2 light casement on first floor. Recessed brick dentillation below plain stone coped parapet stepping down between corner blocks. All return angles have triple rebates centrally hollow moulded. Section to left has similar detailing. 2 cross axial stone coped stacks flank centre block. Right return has a step back towards garden, towards front ground floor mullion and transom casements of 10 lights flanked by cross casements, first floor 3 lights in outer bays, to right towards garden 1:3:1 lights, transomed on ground floor. Parapet as to front right. Garden elevation has centre slightly recessed with slightly higher plain coped parapet. Central entrance, plank and muntin door recessed with stone architrave, projecting stone hood tapers to lower dentillation. Above a tall leaded casement with moulded stone panels below and above with date and crenellations, all recessed. Tall 2 light casements flank entrance. To left 2 bays with ground floor cross and first floor 2 light casements, to right ground floor 14 light transomed casement, first floor 5 lights. Recessed dentillation below coping on parapet to outer sections. Stacks at rear angles of main block. Right return from garden has a full height shallow bow set back towards garden with an extruded stack, rebated corners, flanking single light casements, towards front a ground floor 10 light transomed casement. Dentillations below coping to parapet stepping down between corner blocks. Interior: groin vaulted vestibule and full height central hall with a segmental balcony with turned balusters. Simple classical mouldings and fireplaces. Service wing extending forward to front left, originally 1 storey raised to 2. 2 bays to inner elevation, that nearer house has a double set back with a large round headed doorway to service yard, oculus above, 3 light casements to left. Plain front wall with a single 2 light casement. Outer elevation has 3 and 4 light casements, to rear of service yard a I storey section with a segmental headed door, a second door to rear of this. Formerly known as Dalny Veed, Russian for 'pleasant view'. (Architectural Review: Recent English Domestic Architecture 1911, vol.4, p.101-4, E. Wood and J.H. Sellers, Partnership in Style, Manchester City Art Gallery Catalogue, 1975: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL3992339021

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Architectural Review - Date: 1911 - Journal Title: Architectural Review - Volume: 4 - Page References: 101-4
  2. Article  Reference - Author: Wood, E and Sellars, J H - Title: Partnership In Style - Date: 1975 - Journal Title: Manchester City Art Gallery Catalogue
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977

National Grid Reference: TL 39923 39021

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2014 at 01:26:10.