List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UPP HALL

List entry Number: 1102282

Location

UPP HALL, THE WARREN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityBraughing

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 161263

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 42 SW BRAUGHING THE WARREN (north side) 6/2 Upp Hall

19.10.51

GV II*

Country house. Late C16 or C17, restored and extended c1896. Red brick with steep old red tile roofs. The older front range is of 2 storeys and attics and appears to represent the hall and service end of a house which originally extended to the N beyond the hall (possibly an older building subsequently demolished). The house faces W and the N room (the hall now dining room) has a rear lateral chimney and ovolo-moulded beams. It was probably entered by a screens passage on the S, in line with the present front entrance. To the S a kitchen (reception) with a wide fireplace at its S end, and a further large unheated service room to the S of it (drawing room). To the E of this room a rear service room, and to the E of the hall a staircase wing. W front has a moulded brick floor-band and eaves band with 3 long, 6- light, mullioned and transomed windows to each floor and 2 large gables with linked gable parapets, circular recess in apex over 3-light mullioled window. Floor band steps up over entrance door below left hand gable. Battended door in 4-centre arched wooden frame under label and brick pediment. Small 3-light window over door. 2-storeys canted bay window on right hand return added c1909. Extension 2-storeys in brick and tile with 3-light casement windows and gable parapets. Hipped dormers to attics to rear. Interior has exotic fittings - in dining room panelling said to be from Old Bishops Palace, Salisbury, an overmantle c1630 arcaded and carved: in reception room C17 oak panelling said to be from Wood End House, Warwickshire, and arcaded overmantle. (FCHM (1911) 68: VCH (1912) 311: Pevsner (1977) 311: Pevsner (1977) 371: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL4072923954

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 311
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 311
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 371
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 40729 23954

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 05:55:06.