List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORTH HERTFORDSHIRE MASONIC LODGE (THE CLOISTERS)

List entry Number: 1102019

Location

NORTH HERTFORDSHIRE MASONIC LODGE (THE CLOISTERS), BARRINGTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityLetchworth Garden City

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1979

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 161838

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARRINGTON ROAD 1. 5255 North Hertfordshire Masonic Lodge (The Cloisters) TL 23 SW 1/23 II* 2. 1906-7 by W H Cowlishaw. Built for Miss Annie Lawrence as a residential School of Psychology. Later converted for use as a preparatory school, then a concert hall. By 1948 it had become a masonic lodge. Romantic composition with an octagonal, high tower and 2 open turrets with spiral staircases rising above the cloister garth, an open semi-circular court, which was later roofed with a rotunda when used as a concert hall. Other features originally included cubicles for dressing purposes linked to an open swimming bath. Tiled roofs. Grey brick with diaper work patterns and Purbeck stone dressings. The rich, symbolic carved work (doves and bats for example) was mostly uncompleted before the building project in its original form came to a halt in 1907. Interior of painted brick with mass concrete vaulting. Windows of 2-light mullioned casement with leaded lights, and arranged as enormous mullioned key windows around the central court. Entrance in north-west corner approached by flights of steps leading to arched portico. The cloister garth has an arcade with columns of Swedish green marble and a central fountain in Art Nouveau style around the central support of the tower. Modern additions to the rear.

Listing NGR: TL2204331427

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 22043 31427

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 02:40:49.