List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)

List entry Number: 1101835

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), HORSESHOE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityHormead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160342

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3929 & TL 4029 HORMEAD HORSESHOE LANE (West side)

12/121 & 13/121 Church of St. Nicholas 22.2.67 (C of E)

GV II*

Parish church. Nave C13 or earlier, late C13 3-bay N aisle and arcade, early C14 4-bay S aisle and nave and N aisle lengthened by a W bay, later C14 W tower built over W bay of nave and aisles shortened, C15 top to tower and nave clerestory. Restored 1872-4 by A.W. Blomfield with chancel, chancel arch, S organ chamber and south porch rebuilt. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Roofs part metal, part old red tile. A village church with square ended chancel, clerestoryed nave of 3 bays and aisles all with parapets, south porch and organ chamber and an embattled W tower with pyramidial tile roof and diagonal buttresses. Chancel has encaustic and glazed tile pavement at alter and fleur-de-lis tiled E rear wall with carved reredos recessed below E window. 3-bay open timber roof, arched braced principals and wind braces. Aumbry in S wall next alter. Small cartouche painted with 3 hop plants set over door to organ chamber. Wall monument in white and grey marble c.1815 by Kendrick of a Grecian sarcophagus with word Waterloo in an oval wreath to Lt-Col Stables. Tall nave has late C13 N arcade with 2-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders on octagonal columns with moulded caps and bases. Respond replaced by a C19 column and short length of wall at E pierced by a narrow C19 arch. At W end of arcade are 2 responds back-to-back, the W one to an arch added when S arcade and aisle was built and lost when tower was built. S arcade early C14 with 2-centred arches, octagonal columns with moulded caps and bases, also with C19 narrow arch at E end but springing of original 4th bay at W end. 3 clerestory openings each side with 2-light trefoil headed windows. Six carved head corbels support wall posts of former open timber roof now sealed between tie-beams. N aisle has N door, 4 windows on N, a 3-light E window, screened off vestry at W (1974) and a recessed brass wall plate 1696 to William Delawood of London recording a bequest. S aisle has C15 S door, 3 S windows and C19 arch into organ chamber at E. Grotesque head corbels support the aisle roofs, low pitched with moulded principals, purlins, cornices and traceried brackets off wallposts. 3-stage W tower with wide late C14 tower arch of 3 chamfered orders with 3 engaged jamb shafts separated by hollows, W window, heavy moulded beams, embattled wallplates, and circular bell opening over lower stage. Louvred 2-light openings on each face of top stage. Font late C12 a plain octagonal basin chamfered top and bottom set on a thick circular stem encircled by 8 plain circular shafts. Wall monument at W end of S aisle to William Brand 1746/7 in white and black marble, a swagged tablet with Ionic 3/4 columns supporting an entablature with wreathed achievement over. (RCHM (1911)102: VCH (1914)72-3: Kelly (1914)165: Pevsner (1977)152).

Listing NGR: TL3999229566

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire - Date: 1910 - Page References: 102
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Hertfordshire - Date: 1914 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory - Page References: 165
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1914 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 72-3
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 152

National Grid Reference: TL 39992 29566

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 09:46:55.