List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1101825

Location

THE OLD RECTORY, HORMEAD DANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityHormead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Dec-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160313

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4030 HORMEAD HORMEAD DANE (North side) Great Hormead

11/92 The Old Rectory 22.2.67

GV II*

Rectory, now a house. E part c.1500, W part early C17, C18 E end extension demolished leaving fireplace outside, C20 rear service wing. Timber frame on brick sill, plastered front but exposed close-studding at W end with weatherboarded gable top. Steep old tiled-roof. A 2-storeys and attics, 3-cells, side-jettied house facing S with large internal chimney a third from W end and E gable chimney. S front has 3 4-light flush lattice leaded casements to 1st floor and 2 rectangular bay windows under the jetty with brick bases, 4-light leaded casements with mullions and transoms. 4-light casement to E part and a 6-panel door. Small 2-light window opposite chimney, probably in position of former door. 4 tall grouped octagonal shafts to main chimney. 2 matching shafts on E chimney. The E bay c.1500 is the crosswing, jettied to S, of a former open hall to W, rebuilt in early C17 as a matching side-jettied range with new axial roof overall, re-using soot-blackened rafters for the open hall in its rear slope. The crosswing has close-studding, curved tension braces, chamfered cross-beam, one of a pair of arched braces, blocked doorway and indication of stair trap. Studding of E wall of former hall has peg holes for the back and N back-end. The C17 part to W has depressed 4-centred arched fireplaces in hall and chamber over, moulded similar fireplaces to W parlour and chamber over, and moulded and stopped beams. Mid C18 E chimney serves E room and former extension. Lozenge-carved decoration to scratch moulded panelled screen beside parlour fireplace with cockspur hinges on door. (RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL4033330111

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 40333 30111

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 01:18:05.