List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CORNEYBURY

List entry Number: 1101809

Location

CORNEYBURY, ROYSTON ROAD (A10)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityWyddial

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160364

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 33 SE WYDDIAL ROYSTON ROAD (A10) (East side)

1/143 Corneybury 19.10.51

GV II*

Manor house. Probably late C16 in origin, early C17 N front with wings remodelled 1681 for Charles Crouch ('1681 CC' on rainwater heads), W front remodelled in C18, and house renovated for William Butt in early C19 (V & A Wallpaper Bk for 1826-29 has paper for Drawing Rm). Red brick of differing periods with steep old red tile roofs. An irregular house lying E-W with E shaped symmetrical formal N front of projecting porch and flanking wings. 2 storeys and attics with lower part at SE. N front has gables to projecting wings and central feature with moulded brick gable parapets, oval attic windows in square frames, 3-light mullioned and transomed windows. Leaded glazing with iron opening lights. Late C17 central Ionic porch with pediment and 6-panel door. Pedimented brick aedicule (restored) above with statue of Juno. The front of the NW gabled wing has been re-erected fronting a short extension to that wing (prob in 1681) with a large chimney backing onto the window openings. Parapeted and gabled contemporary W end altered in C18 by addition of a 2-storeys segmental brick bay window with segmental arched windows and insertion of sash windows, deeper on Gd floor, but side windows there altered to triple sashes in early C19. S front has 3 + 1 sash windows on each floor with 6/6 panes, and round headed windows to low SE part probably a former conservatory. (RCHM (1911) 245: VCH (1914), 114, 116-117: Pevsner (1977) 142: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3581130706

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire - Date: 1910 - Page References: 245
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Victoria and Albert Wallpaper Book - Date: 1829 - Journal Title: Victoria and Albert Wallpaper Book
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1914 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 114,116-7
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 142

National Grid Reference: TL 35811 30706

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 07:09:39.