List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GROVE

List entry Number: 1101580

Location

THE GROVE, GROVE MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireThree RiversDistrict AuthoritySarratt

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Nov-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Oct-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158950

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 09 NE SARRATT GROVE MILL LANE (Northeast side) Watford 6/305 The Grove (Formerly listed as Grove 15.11.73 House in the civil parish of Watford Rural)

GV II*

Country house, now offices. Late C16 origins. Rebuilt c.1720 for W or C Buck. Altered 1754-61 by M. Brettingham for the Hon T. Villiers. Extended and altered c.1780 by Sir R. Taylor for Villiers, now 1st Earl of Clarendon. Raised a storey, altered and extended c.1870-5 by E. Blore for the 4th Earl. Altered and extended mid C20. Red brick. Slate and tile roof. Originally probably an H plan reduced to a T with wing to left of main range in c.1720 rebuild. Right wing rebuilt by Taylor with new entrance front. 3 storeys. Original S facing entrance front, 2:3:2, main range articulated by Giant Roman Doric pilasters. Ground floor French windows with gauged brick cambered heads, central aedicular surround with double pilasters. Plat band to first floor, glazing bar sashes with gauged brick cambered heads, stone sills. Cornice to C19 attic storey: small 6 pane sashes with gauged brick flat arched heads, pilaster strips articulate each bay. To centre a larger round headed sash with apron panel and key blocked surround in an aedicular frame with pediment rising above C20 stone coped parapet. Cross axial stacks. To right and set back slightly is 3 bay block by Taylor. Glazing bar sashes, flat arched heads, stone sills. Simpler moulded cornice to attic. Chamfered brick quoins to right return or present entrance front. 1:3:1 with slightly projecting centre. C20 steps up to central brick porch. Part glazed doors, pilasters and pediment. Flanking round headed sashes, first floor sashes, simple cornice to attic. Chamfered brick quoins to outer bays which have slightly projecting ground floor tripartite sashes with brick mullions, cornices, apron panels. Chamfered quoins at ends. Projecting left wing with 4 bay re-entrant elevation, 2 storey quadrant in angle, C19 full height bow with 3 windows, ground floor tripartite sash, 2nd floor outer windows are blind. To left of bow blind windows on each floor with an attic sash. Another C19 full height bow with 3 windows to front, ground floor French windows, plat band, cornice and chamfered brick quoins. Left return 1:2:3:2:1 with projecting centre and ends. Plinth. Ground floor French windows that to centre with pilaster and cornice surround, flanking cambered heads. Plat band to first floor glazing bar sashes with stone sills, cambered heads. Cornice to attic. Giant Roman Doric angle pilasters articulate central 3 bays. Chamfered brick quoins to end bays. To rear 2 and 3 storey red, plum and yellow stock brick C19 service ranges with glazing bar sashes, plat bands, dentilled brick eaves, hipped roofs. Interior: lecture room chimneypiece, doors and ceiling, library chimneypiece and bookshelves by Taylor. C20 additions to N not of special interest. (VCH 1908: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript: D. Lovett The Grove Story, 1984).

Listing NGR: TQ0821298789

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908)
Lovett, D, The Grove Story, (1984)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

National Grid Reference: TQ 08212 98789

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 09:42:42.